Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought permatex RED thread-locker from my local parts store - put it on my exhaust pipe bolts rode for about a half hour last night and the blasted bolts backed themselves out again.

is blue supposed to be better than red?

is there a thread lock that is better suited for high heated parts like exhaust?

is there a setting time that the threadlock needs to "cure" or "set" before the engine should be fired up?
:confused:

·
Retired Mod and Racer
1,072 Posts
i use the blue(med strenth) or the purple(low strenth), the red is to strong. They make a high temp but it is also hi strenth so i wouldnt advise using it, i use the blue on my brake caliper bolts and have had no problems from the heat when i remove em. have you tried adding lock washers to your exhaust bolts? that might work if it doesnt there is always safety wire.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obpr said:
i use the blue(med strenth) or the purple(low strenth), the red is to strong. They make a high temp but it is also hi strenth so i wouldnt advise using it, i use the blue on my brake caliper bolts and have had no problems from the heat when i remove em
what do you advise for exhaust bolts?
the same? or should i stick with the red - as like i said above, i used the red last night and the bolts backed out for the third time (first 2 times they backed out, they weren't thread locked - i know, i know that was my own fault!)

·
Retired Mod and Racer
1,072 Posts
its odd that even with the red on em they backed out. 1-87PERMATEX thats the number for permatex give em a call and ask what they would recomend you use. (usually with companies if you nice they send you free sample) and lock washers are worth a try cost you 25 cents

·
Registered
285 Posts
there are two different kinds of erd threadlocker. there is the red high strength threadlocker and the red permanent threadlocker.

i use the red high strength and locking washers. let it cure for 24 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts