Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after weeks of having a bike that runs like a three legged dog i was asked if i would take a look at this bike as the guy was sick of it i started all the usual things (flushing the carb and fuel lines changing and gapping the plug) to have no effect. The bike still ran like the choke was on so off came the barrel i couldnt believe wot i saw no transfer ports they had been cut completely out so that there was a channel up either side of the barrel. Has anyone seen this before and wots the reasoning behind it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I hate to break the news to you but thats the way they all are! The piston sides become the wall of the transfer ports. There is nothing wrong there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
britman said:
after weeks of having a bike that runs like a three legged dog i was asked if i would take a look at this bike as the guy was sick of it i started all the usual things (flushing the carb and fuel lines changing and gapping the plug) to have no effect. The bike still ran like the choke was on so off came the barrel i couldnt believe wot i saw no transfer ports they had been cut completely out so that there was a channel up either side of the barrel. Has anyone seen this before and wots the reasoning behind it.
Does it look somewhat like this? If so then this is normal with these motors. Same for the big bore kit as well.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wish i had a camera to take some pics as i dont seem to have explained things too well. when i say the ports have been cut out i mean the the channel is wider , deeper and seems to be further down the barrel.would this increased channel size (port) explain the probs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
britman said:
wish i had a camera to take some pics as i dont seem to have explained things too well. when i say the ports have been cut out i mean the the channel is wider , deeper and seems to be further down the barrel.would this increased channel size (port) explain the probs.
So what you are saying is that the transfer ports above in my pic have been made wider and deeper? If so then yes, this will cause the velocity of the incoming charge to slow down. And probably in his case waaaay down which would indeed make it feel like the choke was on. Most think that bigger must be better but in regards to the transfer ports this is not the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
shultzy1969 said:
So what you are saying is that the transfer ports above in my pic have been made wider and deeper? If so then yes, this will cause the velocity of the incoming charge to slow down. And probably in his case waaaay down which would indeed make it feel like the choke was on. Most think that bigger must be better but in regards to the transfer ports this is not the case.
yup, the thing with porting is that if done right, major gains, but if done wrong then you will have a motor that wont run for $hit. porting is a science, you cant just hack away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hack away desscibes it spot on there are visable signs of grinding or even course filing i"d like to say this was a crude attempt at porting but this has come as standard the bike has been run in properly as the guy is using high quality fully synthetiic oil i have even put my own complete carb on as a last gasp hope of getting it to run even something like but no its the same still running like the choke is on
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top