Pocketbike Forum banner

upgrade to brushless motor

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aproldan 
#1 ·
gday

ive been running the my1020 with 100amp & 50amp controllers for about a year now 100amp controller cooks the motors & 50amp just doesnt have the torque(because im a fat b*****d).
Anyway looking at etek or mars pmac (perm 132 is out of my price range).

Can anyone give me any help on best set up with 48v about 100ah of batteries.been looking at alltrax & kelly controllers not sure of model numbers.also the cheapest price would be good ive seen the motors for around $450 us which is nearly double by the time it gets here to australia.

cheers

#2 ·
hey hey,

i made a pocket bike with a mars pmac. what a pile of garbage. total waste of money. theres a company on ebay that was refurbishing damaged original ETEKs a month or two ago for $400-500 that i would buy if i was gunna do it again.

definitely get the standard etek or maybe even the etek-R or RT if only for simplicity. the difference in power and longevity is totally negligable.

the brushless is let down hugely by the sevcon controller which literally just does not work with this motor. using a kelly at 70v or so MIGHT work. but its a big gamble when you can get the standard etek which is proven for alot less money.

my pocket bike and a friends full size 250cc ev bike just had next to no power, extremely bad shuddering at take off, the programmer cost a massive $300 alone (WHAT THE F....) and 99% of the features are useless. not to mention there is about 40 things you have to wire up literally.

not sure what a 1020 is tbh, but if your out to do it on the cheap have a look at some 2nd hand forklift motors. there series wound so they have gobs of power and there not *too* big (talking in etek terms here) just a bit wider. i know they can be had for $200 aus.

good luck!

#3 ·
cheers hyzer

will probably steer clear of pmac motor now.been lookin on ebay trying to pick up a bargin.you mentioned electric fork lift motors got any links or model numbers so it would make search a bit easier.in answer to your question the my1020 is a unite chinese motor 48v 1000w with brushes for around $120.It was a good motor to start of with but i want to get a bit more serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.