Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to guy today that had one of his containers held by the customes agents. He told me every bike in the container had to be opened and have a vin number assigned to the bikes before customes would release the container to him.
He says that from now on all imported bikes will have a vin number prior to coming into the country.

Just wondering if the new 380/or R49 X bikes have the vin numbers on the frames already.....I would assume so but, did not know for sure. Could you 380 owners tell us if they do or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So what does this mean? Eligibility to be street legal? That is really out of proportion considering the fact that ever container contains about 72 bikes....it would take at least 5 days to vin# all of those bikes.....jeese.

·
Registered
866 Posts
street legal doesnt just mean vin #

sure its a step... but our parts do not comply with most DMV standards or DOT or watever

·
Registered
255 Posts
My supplier told me this was coming.The ff cags i sell and got from him all have serial or vin munbers on the frame.Dont know why it needs it though.These bikes will never comply with the DMV rules of the road.Does this mean we have to register,license and insure the bikes?:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
iDR07 said:
uhh...
if they dont comply with DMV standards, then doesnt that mean we cant register and license them?
thinking about this...there are drag cars or off road vehicles that still have to be registered that can never be riden on the streets.Maybe this is a way for the government to get more money since its a growing sport?

·
Registered
866 Posts
those cars were originally registered i guess...

like my dads CRX... it doesnt run anymore, but if he wants to reregister it he can.

cuz it was previously registered...doesnt mean its street legal, but it is registered

now if he stops paying registration, he would have to reregister it and make it comply with the laws of today...

at least i think it would...

·
Registered
257 Posts
VIn

Sorry man but my 380x/R49cc has NO VIN## on it. I heard something about that too. My buddie stuff is been hold by custom too. I think thats the new law is **** but wont find out intil next. I will let you guys know about the new VIN #.

Out..~~

·
Registered
641 Posts
While yes a VIN is a requirment towards being street legal it is used more for tracking by law enforcement for tickets-theft etc.

These bikes all China made X-1,2,3, 380, R49 etc are NOT street legal and should only be operated off the streets.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Even if they are assigned a vin#, and you are allowed to register and insure it, if your state has emissions testing these two-strokers will next pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are being assigned vins to keep track where they came from.
Also it will help in theft recoverys for law enforcement.
I for one would like to have them for my bikes just for insurance purposes.
If they are stolen.......right now they have no identification on them at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
By motorized 2-wheel vehicle requirements. It will still not be legal in CA. So as these other guys have said, they are probably just assigning numbers to keep tabs on it for one reason or another. Too many mechanical designs on the bike that will not allow it for street use in CA. I do hope they start requiring people to have M2s for this. Some kid already made me eat it at a course when he thought it was a keen idea to cut 4 inches away in front of me and brake hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
True, But I see that as the only plus side. Like I read on this thread on pg1 we will never be allowed on streets period.. I really dont mind because I like parking lots more myself. The VIN#s that are coming on the bikes are to make the DMV and legislation squrm around to find a law to make so that the VIN#s will some how be invalid for another bogus reason. REALLY, what this might be is just a ploy to get more people buying these thinking they will be able to ride on the streets...personally, due to the fact that sales have dropped because of these laws. It is really misleading to the public on both parts Legislation/ Dealers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe I'm being negative in my thinking but I would say its to help law enforcement track which bike belongs to what person...after they impound it. Thats my .02!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its just another way they are trying to stop the import of these bikes. People need to stop driving them in busy streets and intersections, thats why Customs is trying to stop these bikes from coming in. Their excuse is people are getting hurt, bullshit but people do have to stop riding these bikes on busy streets.

·
Registered
573 Posts
VIN numbers also can make it harder to register too. Once they run the VIN they will see hey its one of those pocketbikes, nah we cant issue plates. VIN numbers do help with proof of ownership though. I've seen a few bikes that had so called VIN numbers rivted on the swing arm. They might be home made, they look like they were... We will know what happens when at the end of the year when new laws come into play.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are some states that still see these things as motorized bicycles in their state dmv laws. I know Tenn. is one of them.
And I do not think having vin #s will make or break the sales of these things.

just out of curiosity how many digits are in the vin number on these things.
I think it should be 17 digits on any vin #

1 - 20 of 36 Posts