Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was trying to put the cylinder head back on the piston, of my reeded engine. In the process i have broken 4 piston rings. What am i doing wrong? I had the opening of the ring turned to the side horizontal to the piston pin. I tried squeezing the rings together as i pushed down on the cylinder and still no go. Thinking about buying an assembled engine.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Bummer dude sorry your having so much trouble with that.

If you look in the piston grooves there's a little stud. That's where you want the ends of the rings to be. Lube up both the piston,rings and cylinder with a little 2-stroke oil. Slowly put the cylinder on the piston and slide it to the first ring and pinch the first ring closed and slip the cylinder down just over the first ring. Now pinch the second ring and slide the cylinder over the 2nd ring. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. Good luck hopes this helps ya out

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Like he said the ring ends have a groove the goes around the pin in the piston groove to keep the rings from turning, so the ring ends don't catch on the edges of the transfer ports & so on. Make sure the grooves are up and fit around the pin, before you push it in. There is an angle on the inside bottom of the cylinder wall to compress the rings going into the cyld.
You might want to talk to a member here Boosted306. For around $100 he can put his 3 stage billet head cylinder kit on and for $20 more bore out your stock carb and rejet it. I have a bunch of his engines, much better than a stock engine, and it won't break you wallet,lol. Here is one of my twin drag bike engines, Power by Sam.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer dude sorry your having so much trouble with that.

If you look in the piston grooves there's a little stud. That's where you want the ends of the rings to be. Lube up both the piston,rings and cylinder with a little 2-stroke oil. Slowly put the cylinder on the piston and slide it to the first ring and pinch the first ring closed and slip the cylinder down just over the first ring. Now pinch the second ring and slide the cylinder over the 2nd ring. Take your time and don't get in a hurry. Good luck hopes this helps ya out
Thanks man i lubed it with 2 stroke oil and squeezing the ring, that didn't seem to help.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
It could take 2 to 3 weeks, or not. This is just a side line business, he has regular jobs also. He could charge alot more, but he is a member here, so he is helping us out.
It's a seperate cylinder and 4 piece billet winged head. He times the ports as well as make them bigger and pumps up the compression, really need a 10mm FC crank and carbon fiber reeds to make the engine work right with the 3rd Stage Kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.