Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X19 pocket bike and used to have a bad carb and it couldnt get gas it seemed, so I bought a brand new carb. It fired up the first time and rode, but only at like 40% of its power..

Then it died out and I couldnt get it to start... It seems like when i try to start this bike the first couple times it will fire up for a little, but it WONT RUN AT FULL POWER?

Then after a few tries it simply will not fire up no matter WHAT I do.

I tried cleaning the spark plug a little as it does look dirty but idk if that's the reason... the bike also sounds awful sometimes starting up...

How can i know if my engines just starting to go bad, and is there anything I can do to fix it/tune it up?

Help please!!

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
well i would run it till its about to die then with the air filter removed spray some eather or strting fluid into the carb and see if it keeps on runnung if so than its a carb problem or the stator or cdi or coil is going but that would only do that if you did not have a good battery in it or not one at all otherwise it would run off the battery itself instead if the engine electrical hope this helps let me know what u come up with

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
What carb did you get? are you sure its the right one? Not too big or small?? Its turning, its just not running..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can a faulty spark plug cause the engine to only work at about half its potential? I think the reason it doesn't start after a bunch of tries is becuase im flooding the engine, it makes perfect sense.

BUT for when it DOES start up and only performs at about half of what it can, where does that problem come from? Can it be from the air mixture screw on the carb not being at the right setting?

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Yes, why? Does the spark plug look weak? Of course the adjustments could be causing the problem.. Follow a tuning post if you havent already and take the plug out, put the wire on it, touch the end to the block and Pull the cord.. Good spark?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought a used 90cc engine, Firts it would take a while to start. Then it started dying for no reason. Then one day it died and wouldnt start at all. Turns out the ignition coil under the flywheel exploded.

Take off the flywheel and look at the 2 coils. The ignition one is black I think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, why? Does the spark plug look weak? Of course the adjustments could be causing the problem.. Follow a tuning post if you havent already and take the plug out, put the wire on it, touch the end to the block and Pull the cord.. Good spark?
I;m not 100% sure its faulty but I took it off today and it was completely black, so I think I need a new one. I cleaned it off and did manage to get the bike to start, but at half potential as I said.

Idk how to do what you said though lol.. but you're saying it COULD be the spark plugs reason the bike only goes 40-50% capacity?

or the air mixture screw...?

·
1,278 Posts
If the plug is black than it is running to rich = Too much gas may need to be leaned out what carb do you have on it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PZ19 carburator, its brand new.. but that plugs been on there forever as far as I know

But if its running too rich and its getting too much gas how can i fix that..

·
1,278 Posts
Bad carb bad float needle to high ECT u need to figure out if it's spark related or fuel first Tho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really dont think its a bad carb i bought this carb brand new just not even a week ago...

the idle and air mixture screw arent perfect but how would i know if i have a "bad float"?...

·
1,278 Posts
have you tested either of the ways i told you yet????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts