Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently inherited a lightly used Cateye FS509 and am in the process of getting it up and running. It had gas left in it and hasn't been run in 2yrs but thankfully it was in garage. I had to take the front fork and rear wheel off to get it to fit in the car and got it back together yesterday but it seems like the brakes are rubbing and I might have gotten the chain adjusted too tightly.

Changed out the plug to an NGK BM6A, drained the gas and added some 91oct + Lucas oil at 50:1 (should I be running a little richer?) and got it to start up on the 6-7th pull. It isn't running very strong but after reading on here a bit it seems like I need to take a closer look at the chain tension and brakes and then tune the carb.

Is the stock carb worth keeping or should I upgrade it? What about the exhaust? As of right now I have maybe $15 in it but I already have enough toys so I don't want to invest much into this thing. I'm just going to get it up and running and have a little fun until my nephew is big enough to ride it. :D

What about this Skinny Pipe exhaust? I noticed the stocker looks like a bit of a joke. 2 stroke 49cc pocket bike Fs509 performen Skiny Pipe

Also, what vendors do you guys buy parts from? I'd rather source my stuff in the US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, I'm a big dude (6'1 250) so anything I can do to give it some lowend would be much appreciated :)

I'm not expecting to go 40mph on this thing but I have a nice long hill to ride down and it'd be nice to make it back up :p

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
To help out with the low end you should get ride of the 20 tooth front sprocket change to a 17 tooth or a 14 tooth. Check to see if you have a steel clutch or an aluminum clutch. If it's the steel cluch change to an aluminum clutch. Than you can either lighten the clutch up more or add the heavier spring. But even if you dont do either it should still help out some as the aluminum clutch is 40% lighter than the steel clutch which will make it engage at a higher rpm range which will help the bottom end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I get these parts at? Also, is there a write up or diagram somewhere that I can use as a reference? I'm new to 2-cycle engines.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tune your carb, and adjusting your chain tension is pretty easy just tighten or loosen the bolts behind the main bolts that hold on the wheel, And for mods, strayDawg is right with the sprockets, those always help, and maybe a new air filter.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I would say ebay. I've havent messed with these type of bikes for awhile. I've moved on to water cooled euro bikes. So i'm not up to date with the vendors thats around for parts any more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tune your carb, and adjusting your chain tension is pretty easy just tighten or loosen the bolts behind the main bolts that hold on the wheel, And for mods, strayDawg is right with the sprockets, those always help, and maybe a new air filter.
Is there a way to tell how tight the chain should be?

So do you guys think the exhaust I linked is worth the $40-60? If I change the sprockets don't I need to get a new chain?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
There should be about 3/8" to 1/2" play in the center of the chain.

That pipe is better than stock and it's $25. plus $9. shipping so it's just $34..

No you can adjust your front chain by moving the motor forward or backwards to loosen it or tighten it. now with the 14 tooth you may need to make the slots longer in your motor mount to move the motor forward enough but you maybe ok too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we got it up to 25mph downhill tonight after I sorted out the brakes and chain tension. After airing up the tires some and taking off the air cleaner and tuning the A/F we got up to 29mph :D

It definately needs some more low-end so I'm going to go ahead and order the 14t front sprocket, do you guys think I should change the rear as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up going with a 17t front and 36 rear. It tops out at 26-27 but has substantially more low-mid range power for my hilly neighborhood.

I've tried the following combos:
14 front stock rear = tons of low end power, NO top end at all.
14/36 = tons of low end power, still not much top end
20(stock)/36 = scary top end but it takes forever to get there and won't make it back up the hill.

17/36 seems to be just right. If I could find a slightly smaller rear sprocket I'd buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts