Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! Name's Sonny, live in the wet wet northwest, play lots of disc golf and xbox.

Absolutely brand new to PB's. Picked up the bike below off craigslist for $100. Anyone know what it is? Only thing I was told was it's 49cc and there are a few things done to the motor. No clue what type of bike this is at all. Any help would be appreciated!

Just ordered a stock pullstart from SP4L as that is the only thing the seller said it needed to run. Hole placement measured the same so here's hoping that it's all I need!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I think it is a Cateye PB, it is supposed to have a full body on it. You have a 43 or 49cc Zenoah electric or pull start, 2 stroke engine w/ a 15mm Walbro type pumper carb. PB Parts in florida has pictures on its parts web site, find the cateye bike and your engine and click them on for parts to your bike. It makes it simple and you can get the right parts, they have a toll free number, order by phone, ask them Questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I had a feeling you guys would be able to help! This is a project for my son, who is a total gear head. I bought him 3 Zooma scooters 2 years ago and he has managed to keep them up and running so I'm graduating him to PB's.

I'm going to get it running and then hand it over to him as a surprise for his grades this year. The seller said he put the seat on, which I'm guessing will not work with the body fairings on, which is too bad cause the seat is actually very comfortable!

Anyways, thank you EPR. I'll keep this thread updated with pics over the next few weeks. Any recomendations for general replacement parts to save the boy work in the long run?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy expensive fairings! the complete setup shipped, which was a chore to actually find, is like $250???

Wow. I think id be better off Buying another bike of craigslist and using it for parts!

Any ideas on fairings kits? Will other styles work on this frame?

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
+2 on the Cateye. Nice seat, probably from an old-school minibike. The box on the front of the frame is for the battery, which powers all the lighting that is normally on a Cateye. It looks like the previous owner stripped all the wiring out of the bike, anyway.

You should be able to just bolt everything up and put on the chain for that bike to run decent. As for getting another parts bike from craigslist (or even another runner), that's always a good idea. You can never have too many spare parts laying around. And yah, fairings are expensive ... that's kinda why only one of my bikes has the seat section. Everything else is stripped down to the bare frame, like yours.

I got three of the Zooma scooters myself, Sonny. I managed to pick up a fourth, which was an electric (electrics didn't work), so I swapped the front end from the electric onto a gasser rear end, and use the battery box as a storage space for tools, etc. It's my pit ride/support vehicle at the track. The other two are a matched pair (one with a seat, the other without) for when me and my g/f go cruising the neighborhood in the evenings.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Forget the fairings its a big waste of money. As soon as you put them on the bike will crash and waste them anyway,lol,lol. It like my avatar bike, I bought the frame off of Ebay, put most off the Lucky 7, or Raptor, together with spare parts, and engines. Its has a Sam's 3rd Stage billet alum head kit.
I would buy that in a second for $100. I love the seat, these PB seats are a pain in the ---. If it has a pull start your set, it has its own magneto & coil, so it runs on its own, just need a kill button. On my engine stand I touch a wire to the bench. The electric starter stuff & battery is heavy, some people mod them and use the pull start. Make it light and fast.
I am putting a Billet Alloy 15:1 head on my Zenoah scooter engine, cut down the top of a stock cyld, and ground it down, been done before, by others here. You can do alot of mods to these engines.
Some people put 6.5hp 4 stroke B/S type engines in a cateye.

Attachments

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I'm with EPR, the body work does look nice, but once the bike goes down, the body usually cracks anyway....

Try to find one with a "broken" engine, then maybe you could get a good deal on some extra parts, as well as some bodywork!

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
EPR, on my engine stand, I just use a spare killswitch mounted off a handlebar.

+1 on ditching the battery/lighting/excess wiring .... the bike's nickname of "Crap-eye" was mainly because of all the extra garbage on it. Luckily, the previous owner did all of that for you ...

If that were my own bike, I would get it running first, then begin cutting off all the extra things I didn't need on the frame, i.e. the rear half of the battery box, any extra mounting tabs, etc. Obviously I wouldn't be cutting off anything structural, just non-essential stuff.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I like Nicks idea, find a roller or broken engine or don't run, that has a great body, and you have spare parts. I have been stocking up on new parts from Daves for over a year. Last night got 6 $2 clutches, 3 scooter 3 Cag. and a bunch of cheap gaskets & .20 cent rod bearings 50 cent ring sets, I use then two the most,lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well gentlemen, I put a new pullstart on it and it fired on the second pull! Brakes work well,tires are in good shape and all seems to be in generally good working order.

I've been headhunting craigslist for a parts bike but the cheap ones go FAST!

Speaking of which, I think I'll start checking into the tuning threads here for some pointers on getting this little orphan up to speed.

Thanks again for the advice and identification. I'll be lurking until I have another question or something worthwhile to say!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are a few out there. I'm probably going to go check one out this weekend. "new" Cag for $200? sound like a deal?

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
*laffs* Not really, considering a "brand-new" Cag out of the box is like $230 ..... Try talking him down some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya that guy with the Cagllari was shady, tried saying he had another buyer who was willing to pay more, blah blah blah. I spent too many years in the car business to fall for that lame attempt at a price bump.

Sooooo I found a Lucky 7 in fantastic condition and snapped it up from a super cool guy who used to race Dirtbikes. Thing had a thin layer of dust on it and that was all that was wrong. He gave me 2 Full gas cans, a bunch of 2 stroke oil and some octane additive.

I fired it up and rode it down the (ahem) street when I got home wanting to feel it opened up all the way. Its A completely different beast than the bike pictured in my first post. If I were to guess, I'd say it was 10-15 mph faster. Also is a LOT smaller in comparison. I'm glad I have the Crap-eye for the boy to learn on before stepping him up to that Lucky, as I was surprised how quick it seemed (to a noob like me).

Anyone else here have, or have had a Lucky? Recommendations for simple upgrades with a noticeable difference?

Here's a pic, funny how it looks like it should be for a 3 year old, until you ride it.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Good score on the Lucky 7! (Cute kid, too.)

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Get $95 & $11 for shipping and send your engine to Boosted306, Sam, and you can have a very fast Lucky 7. Mine is a simi chopper, my foot pegs are on the front axle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks fellas! My first order of business, is to get that Cat Eye up to par. It seems to REALLY be missing something in comparison to the L7.

Throttle response seems sluggish. I give it gas and hear it rev but don't get much torque to the wheels. Clutch maybe? Also seems like it's missing an entire portion of power in it's band (the top end) I say all this comparing it to the L7.

I have a noob question that I could use some help on. So the first bike is a Cat Eye, I've seen them called the FS509 and PB parts says they were the first mid sized PB to show up. The frame is larger than the L7 and ride height is DEFINITELY higher. (my daughter can't even touch the pegs on the CatEye.

Is the bike truly a mid-sized and called the FS509?

Ive never seen a picture of the frame of another cat-eye, only plenty of pics of bikes with their fairings on, which doesn't really help me.

I just want to make absolutely sure if this is what i think it is before I start ordering upgrades.

Any help with the sluggish throttle response/no torque issue is also appreciated!

Thanks in advance fellas!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
The Cateye, is a heavier bike, and has lights, battery, starter motor w/ magnets, trans/gearbox, all that stuff eats up power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts