Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody is interested in having their wheel bearings last darn near forever with a huge reduction in rolling drag (free speed!!), I can make spacers which go between the wheel bearings. It also allows you to torque down the axle nuts.

The catch is that I need the wheels to do it. I have to measure the bearing spacing to .001" to do it right.

If anybody in the Denver area is interested, I'll do a few free - while you wait. If anybody is outside the area and is willing to send somebody they've never heard of their wheels, it'll have them out the next day - also for free. I highly recommend a new set of bearings at the same time - one side has to come out to install the spacer.

I'm offering this so I can get some feedback and exposure - plus, I can't sell anything here - yet.

Oh, yes - if you're wondering if I'm trying to scam some wheels, the price of my lathe would buy a lot more than a set of wheels.

Feel free to e-mail me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
but if you were scamming for some wheels you wouldnt have a lathe...... so thats not any kind of reasoning there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
but if you were scamming for some wheels you wouldnt have a lathe...... so thats not any kind of reasoning there.
Hey, that's why I offered anybody in the local area to bring their bike or just their wheels over for me to do while they wait. A lathe is kind of hard to miss - and it's hard to do the job without one.

Then THEY can tell you.

That IS reasonable, right?

·
Registered
474 Posts
no, I wasnt saying you ARE trying to scam I was just pointing out that your reasoning doesnt do anything for your story. thats like me asking you to send me a one hundred dollar bill because I have a machine that can copy them. and if I was scamming you it wouldnt be worth it because my machine costs more than a hundred dollars. but you never sen my machine and dont even know if I have one or not.
not trying to start a fight, just telling you what I meant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No hostility sent or recieved - you're point IS valid, if you aren't in the area and can't check it out. That's why I'm inviting anyone who is in the area to check it out.

I've seen too many "shops" that act all top secret and won't let anybody near their operation - which makes me wondering what they're hiding. I'm operating out of my house, so I can't hide at all.....

Oh, yeah - welcome back!!!!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
yeah, I would consider sending my wheels but I dont even get the bike til tommorrow so I couldnt live with a bike w/o wheels when I havent even ridden it yet.

Ill probably just try and figure something out wiht washers or something like that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rohorn,

Although I am in the area I have not responded for a reason and that is I don't quite understand the concept here. My rear wheel already has spacers that fit between the frame and bearing (both left and right sides). One side has a shorter spacer than the other for wheel offset. Inside the actual rim I also have a long spacer that fits between the bearings.

Do you have a pic or drawing? Are your spacers/idea quite a bit different than what already comes on the bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think what rohorn is making is a new inside spacer the one in the rim that actually rides on the bearings center race and doesnt just float around in there like the stock one.So that way you can tighten your rear wheel without it binding the bearings up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
this was a post from before so I will post it again. If you plan on taking apart the wheel assembly you might as well clean your bearings while you are it.

Once you take the bearings out, remove the C clips on either side using a small pin or needle, becarefull as they can fly off and get lost easily.

Remove the cover plate that protects the bearings from dirt. Then soak everything in a degreaser or some type. You can buy some from a local autoparts store.

Then take the bearing and hold it between your thumb and index finger then I like to shoot compressed air in it to clean it up, I let the bearings spin at high speed for a few seconds until everything is out and it starts to dry.

Once they have dried you can apply either oil or grease. Oil is better as they will run faster, but that means you will need to do this often or the oil will dry up and cause warping of the bearings. Grease makes them run a little slower but lasts longer. If you race I would reccomend using oil, and get a can of bearing spray (WD 40 works too) to keep in the pits, between races give it a quick shot to keep lubbed.
once you have oiled or greased them up, put the covers back on, then the C clips and reinstall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
shultzy, thanks for that input - that was a big help. I didn't know that some of them have spacers between the bearings - which is what I'm trying to do.

Which means I need to add an update: If your wheels spin just as well with the axle nut tight as it does when it is loose, then there's nothing wrong - I'd be wasting your time and you'd have a wheelless pocketbike for no good reason.

BUT - if your wheels spin worse as the axle nuts are tightened, then you either have a missing or poorly fitted spacer between your wheel bearings. That's the problem that I can fix.

Also, I'm looking into some bulk bearing purchases - no more $10.00 each or even $10.00/pair.

In case anybody likes the idea of abec-7 bearings, they'd cost a fortune - real ones would be over $50.00 each!! I wouldn't waste my money on them. I doubt there would be a noticable improvement.

As stated above, a good lube job helps. Pressure washing or even hosing your bike will kill sheilded bearings. Every bad wheel bearing I ever replaced at the bike shop where I used to work was ruined by water and grit being forced into the bearing by pressure washing.

Thanks, See - you're right. A tight front axle nut will help make the front end stiffer. That's always a good thing.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
this is somthing ive been looking at doing because you can waste alot of money on custom parts to get your pocket running sweet but if you havnt got a good bike to start with your wasting your time

these china pockets are thrown together with no skill involved
the first thing that should be done is new bearings,spacers and re-align everything to make it all run smooth then the modding should start

doing this should not only get a few gains but stops alot a wear and tear
i would take a good guess and say alot of problems with these cags is because of how bad there built

1 - 14 of 14 Posts