Pocketbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gents,
EPR is a f$&#in legend!!!!!!!
As you can see in earlier posts, I reached out hoping to find a CVT that was originally for sale in 2016. Luckily EPR still had it and was willing to ship it to me in Canada. I just received it today and not only did I receive the CVT in mint condition, but EPR included some extra parts including a v-stack, air filter, and new starter without me even asking...even some better quality mounting bolts for the CVT to make sure the Chinese ones don't give out.

Like I said earier....****in legend!!!
Thanks EPR!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
Glad to see you got it.

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
That's my first CVT trans, never used. Not sure if there is grease or oil in the gear section of the case. CAM2 should know all about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's my first CVT trans, never used. Not sure if there is grease or oil in the gear section of the case. CAM2 should know all about it.
CAM2, any suggestions?

EPR, the housing on the CVT you sent me is slightly different than my original unit. In the picture, I circled a bolt with a small black pin in the top. I assume this is to fill the gear case with oil but the unit you sent me doesn't have one so do I need to disassemble every time I want to fill with oil?

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
CAM2, any suggestions?

EPR the unit you sent me doesn't have one so do I need to disassemble every time I want to fill with oil?

If the unit doesn't have a fill plug you have some options...

change the housings out by swapping the guts if possible and if not disassembling the new unit then drilling and tapping a hole for the ventilated fill plug into the casing..

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
EPR, what I can do to extend the lifespan of the CVT? Is it as simple as filling the oil reservoir consistently?
Swap out the clutch bell bearings for high quality ceramic ones and use good quality synthetic based lightweight oil like Lucas trans fluid....

I use AMSoil mixed with a lil white graphite chain lube mixed together..

Another thing is to run it without the cover or modify the cover to enhance cooling of the sheaves and belt as heat is the biggest killer of those units.....

Attachments

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
You can see a place where the fill plug is supposed to be. They might have just used grease. I would mount it up and run it like that. The engine will probably break down before you have trouble with the CVT and then you can pull it and the engine. See the numbers on the V belt, that will wear out first. There pretty cheap and easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
The Chinese stopped using oil in them because if they get turned sideways or upside down during shipping they would leak everywhere and sense common people are to dumb to figure out how to fill them (not to mention the Chinglish manual so its not entirely us LOL) they solved the problem by shoving a wade of crap waxed based grease in there and save 2 cents on the time to drill and tap the hole and cost of a bolt and O ring...

i would dissemble the gear box part remove the china grease and put in some good ATF and a teaspoon of Lucas additive enough to where the bottom gear can pick it up and carry it around the gearbox this will outlast the engine like EPR is saying or 1500 miles what ever comes first :tango_face_devil:

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
They put food grade grease inside the gearbox side and clutch bearing end of the trans...

In 4 strokers they put mineral oil in the crankcase

In the hydraulic brakes they put Biodraulic which is a plant based hydraulic oil....

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
I was just assuming it's paraffin wax based just buy the smell and how it's clumpy like that.

The first thing I do when getting any pocketbike or china anything is disassemble and scoop that crap out...

The sooner the better and before brake in is best..

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.
I haven’t mounted the CVT yet so I will take MrKitty’s advice and clean out the crappy grease first.

CAM2, is the the AMSoil you were talking about?
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/synthetic-chaincase-and-gear-oil/?code=TCCCN-EA
If not, what’s best to use is your opinion?
Of course cleaning it out is what you're supposed to do....I do mine a slightly easier way...I load up the reservoir with brake parts cleaner then ride it a lil then open the fill and drain plugs and evacuate the swill then while it's still open I powerblast the inside one more time then I give the BP cleaner time to evaporate then I close fill plug and put 150cc of lube in it....100CC is nothing gor lube after it slings around there's nothing left to keep slinging around...

You can use that lube...you're not out to set any records not to mention it's good quality lube...

I use something a lil different...AMSoil 20w synthetic mixed with some next dimension white graphite and before I clean them I sometimes fill them with metal polish like the Brooklyn ball buster with Jewelers Rouge in it to use to polish the inside with a quick 10 minute highspeed run...

At one time my scooter was built to smash the 64mph record set on a scooter with twin Gp460 on it and I hit 62.2mph on a single 49cc engine with the CVT transmission..

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Gents,
EPR is a f$&#in legend!!!!!!!
As you can see in earlier posts, I reached out hoping to find a CVT that was originally for sale in 2016. Luckily EPR still had it and was willing to ship it to me in Canada. I just received it today and not only did I receive the CVT in mint condition, but EPR included some extra parts including a v-stack, air filter, and new starter without me even asking...even some better quality mounting bolts for the CVT to make sure the Chinese ones don't give out.

Like I said earier....****in legend!!!
Thanks EPR!!!!!
Yep....Hes been a member here since a lil bit after me.....Hes helped more members out with parts than me too....LOL

It just sux that the project the CVT was intended for wont come to fruition and sux even more how the CVTs just magically disappeared thanks to the DIY motorized bike guys utilizing them to get a few extra mphs instead of using a real engine that can produce real power aswell as getting stout speeds in short distances.......LOL.

I feel the twin enginned drag cag may suffer the same fate too....I cant digress the fact that I was looking forwards to seeing that twin enginned drag cag built donning Sams engines ready to rock n roll....

EPR is a trooper though and hes got plenty to keep him busy for quite awhile with the stuff he already has.........

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
Yeah, I am very sad not to finish some of my project bikes. My health is not as good as it was a couple of years ago. CAM2 remembers I spent 12 days in the hospital with 2 tubes between my ribs in to my left lung, and I have Afib, a bad heart, they wanted me to stay longer. So, I can't work 10 hours a day like before, lol. My twin boys are turning 14 soon and take up a lot of my time. Going to sell the 2 Boosted drag engines and a 49cc modified stock boosted cyld engine I have here and maybe some other stuff in which I have plenty, lol. All 3 engines have been run, but the rings are not fully seated yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
EPR, what I can do to extend the lifespan of the CVT? Is it as simple as filling the oil reservoir consistently?
Swap out the clutch bell bearings for high quality ceramic ones and use good quality synthetic based lightweight oil like Lucas trans fluid....

I use AMSoil mixed with a lil white graphite chain lube mixed together..

Another thing is to run it without the cover or modify the cover to enhance cooling of the sheaves and belt as heat is the biggest killer of those units.....
Hey CAM2, finally made it out to my local auto parts store and picked up the Lucas trans fluid but in another post you say to use 20W and this one is 85W...do you use them in different parts of the CVT? In any case, I picked up a few different ones (lucky for me they were 70% off this weekend).

Sorry if this is repetitive but I really don’t want to damage this unit since they’re hard enough to find especially in brand new condition (shout out to EPR for that).

Still a noob so I guess a detailed explanation or pictures would probably help me out here.

Starting to get cold in Canada so I might just hold off until the spring unless it’s a bad idea to leave the CVT without oil/an exposed clutch all winter.

Attachments

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
Hey CAM2, finally made it out to my local auto parts store and picked up the Lucas trans fluid but in another post you say to use 20W and this one is 85W...do you use them in different parts of the CVT? In any case, I picked up a few different ones (lucky for me they were 70% off this weekend).

Sorry if this is repetitive but I really don’t want to damage this unit since they’re hard enough to find especially in brand new condition (shout out to EPR for that).

Still a noob so I guess a detailed explanation or pictures would probably help me out here.

Starting to get cold in Canada so I might just hold off until the spring unless it’s a bad idea to leave the CVT without oil/an exposed clutch all winter.
I stated you can use regular old transmission fluid like Dexron/MerconIII or Nissan or Mopar or regular Mercon even the lucas semi synthetic..... ...

The 85w will work too............

I use 5w/20 amsoil mixed with white graphite chainlube which is what I preferred to lube my trans bearings with..

In reality anything is alot better than the food grade grease they put in there,,even mineral oil........LOL

It doesnt matter when you put it in aslong as you put it in....LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this has been up for a while now. But does anyone have a cvt I can purchase for my x1. Ive been looking for over a month now. I can only find 2 of them on eBay and they are 500 to 600 dollars and I cant justify paying that much when the bike cost me 400 brand new in box. Uncle had it in his warehouse. I want to put a cvt on it I have another x1 with a cvt and it flys past the one without it. If not anybody have any ideas how to make it faster without serious modification to at least keep up with my other one

·
Registered
24,131 Posts
That was 2008, nothing is the same now, and then the virus. I sold my new one last year to a member. I seen them eBay sellers asking like $999.99. I would contact them, I think it is a print extra number mistake. Its an 80 or $90 transmission, Tell them you will give them $100 and see what they say. For $200 shipped I got a brand new X1 hp 49cc piston port engine, cut modified cyld with Cag round alum alloy head, with high compression cap, Cag full circle racing crank w/ C3 bearings, lite flywheel with rocket key, modified carb set up w/ V stack, on and on that will walk all over the CVT, its called horsepower, lol. Then you would have spare engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I offered one of the sellers 100 today specifically the guy selling the chrome covered one for the "ninja pocket bike" and he straight blocked me. Well yeah there's no replacement for displacement. Im just tired of being walked on by the same bike with a cvt. I even put a velocity stack on it better fueling and still getting stomped by my other bike. I have 2 x1s one with a cvt one with the reduction box or whatever it is and I have a cat eye I just want to make them a little faster

21 - 40 of 47 Posts