Pocketbike Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24,127 Posts
The CVT changes the gear ratio at high rpms to give you more top speed, that's what you cant keep up. The X1 trans is chain driven, the CVT belt driven, and both reverse the direction of the engine so the rear wheel turns forward. The engine turns backward mounted with the carb facing forward. X7s have the exhaust out front with trans & chain on the left side.
These are all backpack blower engines made to run at one speed all day blowing leaves, not revved to the max, need to modify everything to get more speed. X1 2s at Cateyes are very heavy for a 2hp engine. Lite is fast, every pound matters on these bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What motor would you recommend im 6'2 and about 220 pounds? Im working on getting another semi complete x1 bike on offer up that has the cvt just missing all electrical on it. I can use that frame to experiment with what would you recommend.
Side note I appreciate your time and knowledge

·
Registered
24,127 Posts
The piston port is the only engine that will bolt in to a Cateye, or X1-2. You could put a 6.5 or 7hp Briggs & Stratton or Predator clone engine, lot of work, lots of money, clutch, chain sprockets, need welder and all kinds of mods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a recommended site to get parts from? I have a 5hp coleman briggs motor I pulled out of a generator that was used once for camping for like 2 hours. Would that do me some good?

·
Registered
24,127 Posts
Are the valves in the block and a flat finned head?? The new ones are OHV engines. Going to need a clutch, chain and rear sprocket. for that engine. Its not going to be cheap. you will need to do welding and grinding, making parts etc. eBay is a good place for any parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it's a internal valve one of the older style briggs motors. I happen to be lucky and have a family of welders I myself am not that great. Would i need to do any frame reinforcements?

·
Registered
24,127 Posts
I think that frame can handle 5 hp, only know what I have seen other members here. Trying searching here for posts about conversion of Predator or Briggs engines in Cateyes or X1 or X2s.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts