Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my problem is these chrome metal parts such as the brake lever and foot lever I shortened the brake lever on my bikes and it keeps breaking off at the weld granted im not the best welder in the world but I do a lot of welding in the shop so I thought this one was a walk in the park

Ok on my foot brake lever I shortened it then ground the chrome plating off beveled both front and back and laid a bead across both sides and the first time I did it I dropped the lever and it broke apart and now if I actually use it like I should it keeps breaking off

So should I use a higher voltage or less than the metal thickness or should I cool it off between welds or what

I am using a gas Miller mig welder with .30 wire set at the metals gauge thickness

The exact welder is a Millermatic 135 if that makes a difference

Somebody help me if i am doing something wrong lol i must be

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Sounds like your laying the weld on top instead of penetrating the metal..............

If you are getting good weld penetration then youre using too much heat making the chinese metal too brittle....Try spotwelds and constant cooling

If not you can also try a slower wire speed and try adjusting the gas pressure in the nozzle to control the burn also try a better grounding source ...If the weld wont bite hard into the metal still then increase voltage................

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
It could also be he's trying to weld aluminum, too .... I'd suggest going to your local bicycle store, and looking for some mountain bike brake handles that would suit your purposes better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try the old trick with the magnet to see what material you have. Be aware if you ever have any stainless as it may or may not be able to support a magnet.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok sorry by brake lever i meant the foot lever for the rear brake and it is steel well some kind of metal i have never come across before i have welded countless exhaust systems and almost anything on a car or truck but this metal had me stumped it was kind of like the bolts fords use now with all recycled metal and air pockets inside it horible stuff

what i had to do to get the welds to hold good enough was turn the voltage way up on the welder and actually start to melt the metal a slight amount then cool it right away spoting it back anf forth all over but it wont brake on me now lol

looked like a large bag of popcorn when i was done but the grinder took care of that lol
i noticed this metal is so soft that it was actually bending just by me placing my foot on the rear brake to slow down i have never jammed the rear brake before but it was bending lol so i braced the back of it as well along with a brace under the foot part of it to stop it from happening again thanks for the tips

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish it was then I wouldn't have even attempted it

It is def steel really cheap steal actually I would compare it to partical board cuz when I cut it that's what the metal looked like inside with a buch of holes like it had air bubbles in it when it was cast or formed or however they made it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts