Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is everything that would keep an engine from starting? Please list everything that could play a part in it not starting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Starting Problems

Too much or too little choke
Petcock turned off
Bad spark plug or plug wire
Bad seal at carb
Dirt in Carb
Clog in fuel line
Too much or too little throttle while starting
Bad Fuel
Gas tank not vented properly
Needle (spring) in carb not lifting

This is a good starting point ....:p

·
Registered
492 Posts
3 things make a motor run (think fire triangle)

1. fuel
2. air
3. spark

multiple issues can keep any of the three from occuring at the same time in proper amounts.

But the most effective trouble shooting would be to isolate the problem to one of the three and investigate further from there.

This method, while not fool proof, is the most effective way of finding the root problem.

If all else fails there is this great board. ;)

·
Retired Mod and Racer
1,072 Posts
bad coil,
fouled plug,
bad plug wire,
short in kill switch or its wire
eddie murphy putting banana in you silencer
air cleaner is filthy (need to keep em clean)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok my engine on my brothers bike wont start?

I have choke all the way ON
Fuel is in the carb
Spark plug is fine
Just cleaned the carb
Fuel is flowing freely
Theres a hole in the gas cap

So that leaves:
Bad seal at carb
Too much or to little throttle
bad fuel
Needle spring not lifting

·
Registered
19 Posts
hook spark plug onto coil/plug wire and hold plug against side of head,pull the starter and see if you get any spark if so then that rules out spark. If spark is good try spraying a little bit of carb clean down throat of carb,twist throttle wide open with choke open and try to start if it starts then shuts off you probably have blockage in your carb possible main jet plugged with dirt. best I can do to help good luck!

·
Retired Mod and Racer
1,072 Posts
try pulling it with the spark plug out to make sure it has fuel in the cyclinder

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the hot weather my bike will only start with the choke completely OFF. When I firtst got my bike I must have spent an hour trying to get it going with the choke on. Tried it with no choke and it started on the first pull.

Ross

G

·
When my bike has not been run for a few days, it will not start without a shot of starter spray. After that it runs and starts fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went outside today and tried to spray carb cleaner in and it started but immediatly died. I diss-assembled the carb and cleaned it. My Throttle is fine now.

Im running out of ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Fritz,

Be careful with that starter spray on a two stroke... its easy to toast a 2 stroke motor with starter spray!! Makes the motor run really lean!

Fritz said:
When my bike has not been run for a few days, it will not start without a shot of starter spray. After that it runs and starts fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts