Pocketbike Forum banner

wondering if this will work

3K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  beansdaddy78 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had any thought about, if i pulled the 49 cc motor off of my cat eye and then try to replace.it with a tecumsehs h30.

Would it fit?
How many cc, HP is the tecumseh h30?
Also would anybody happen to know how many HP the original 49cc motor?
Is there any other motor other than the OG49cc that will bolt right in???

As usual, Id be greatly appreciative of any advice

#5 · (Edited)
And I almost forgot, but could anybody direct me to info, or tell me how to pull the governer? I've done several 5hp briggs, is it similar to that process?
On what engine? OHV or flattop?

even disconnecting the gov on a flattop requires stiffer valve springs aswell as carb upgrade and exhaust upgrade and even advancing the flywheel 10 degrees..........Those engines I used to take a torch and heat up the camshaft between th lobes cherry red and twist the camshaft so the lobes are tighter together then i regrind the camshaft so the side lobes are less sloped and more flatter so the valves slam open and shut quick and forceful....Then I lightened the flywheel and knifeedged the rod,,polished the piston and thinned the rings then added 4 breather ports tapped off the engine case to increase revs.......

#14 ·
Wow man, that's way out of my league at this point, I'm hoping that soon it will be doable as my knowledge and skill increase, even an idiot can get the hang of something if he does it enough. I tried to Google the tecumseh H30 and can't find the cc or amount of HP
The techumseh h30 was built up until 1983...they arepoints ignition engines......only 3hp though,,,the h40 is 4hp and the h50 5hp....etc.

heres the info you seek

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmtmechs.htm

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/h30-35.html

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/engine_specs/tecumseh_timing_dims.asp

#4 ·
Theres members that have stuck 6.5hp ohv harbor freight engines in their builds but without a welder or proper fabricating tools the job can become a nitemare...........The 49cc engine thats on the bike has plenty of extra potential but its gonna take some kind of money to acheive it either way...

My 43cc x1 went 26mph topspeed.......after modding it to 49cc and juicing it up to almost triple its old hp potential its hitting above 40mph and thats plenty fast for wiggly front springer forks being held together by a cheesy M6 screw.....

My cousins stepsons cateye was a dog bone stock and he didnt enjoy being beatten by the whole hood so I gave him a modded engine.....He looked at it like it was garbage until after it was slapped on and he felt the extra power and revs then he started showing interest in his crappy looking bike when it became a contender..........LOL

The stock hp rating is about 1.6hp for the 43cc and 1.9hp for the 49cc...........After basic mods you can gain an extra hp..With advanced mods another 2hp easily..........My X1 is definately pushing more than 4hp now but less than 5.5hp..With a more aggressive porting it would definately be reaching closer to 6hp

One thing Id do is send the engine to Sam and get your engine juiced-up by one of the best to save yourself headaches and money aswell as give you an idea whats involved in power porting a 2 smoker for extreme power....Lawn equipment engines are designed for longevity over extreme power therefore youre riding around on pretty lame-azz power........

#6 ·
what does sam charge, also what do you mean by a more aggressive porting? would you happen to have a pic of a 49 cc cat eye type engine that you ported and polished and modified, so i can get an idea of what i need to do, also would you happne to know how many hp's the tecumseh has. and would you have a pic of what i do to the intake, like where the car hooks up, also i have probably a retarded question but does porting and poishing make the motor start easier??? cam2 as always im happy that you replied

#13 ·
I think Sam has the 49cc Zenoah ported cylinder kit for $60 and you get a new set of rings, if your piston is good, look at Cam2s photos and mod the piston while its off. I got 6 of his kits on different engines 2 of which are 3rd Stage engs. My 49cc scooter is a Boosted engine.

Attachments

#19 ·
ouch. i think this other piece i have is the same. ill check tomorrow. i may be getting a new pocketbike tomorrow, trading a spare grill i have for it. The guy couldnt get me a pic for some reason but came to my house to look at what i had to offer and show me a video of it. then asked about buying my cat eye so i told him i would trade for his which has a broken bolt on the engine for the exhaust manifold and a $100 and told him about the problem with not being able to move and told him of the possible resolutions that i was told ;) ( i almost sounded like i knew what i was talking about) then told him id still cut him a deal at $40 for a nice kenmore elite 4+1 burner stainless grill. so hopefully he shows up.

I really dont want to get rid of my cat eye especially not before i have it running properly. id rather be able to say "hell yes, it runs great" so im actually hoping he does not call at 4 tomorrow like he was supposed to or if he does im hoping he just wants to trade off the bike he has for the grill. i would like to have another, its one of those tiny ones though and im gonna look like a fool on it but its a good laugh and when i ride the tiny ones i love seeing the looks on peoples faces driving by . i look like the guys in the book of world records , twins riding two motorcycles. im 6'1" and 220 so its a bit funny. I didnt even think about checking the weight limit on it.

well ill let ya know if i get it or not tomorrow, and hopefully you might be able to offer suggestions to fixing the exhaust. Thanks Cam2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.