Pocketbike Forum banner

would this motor fit? mx500 mx650

7K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  blobyay 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.czbrushlessmotors.com/48v60v-750w-brushless-dc-motor-p-41.html

I was wondering if this motor would fit on to the mx500 or mx650 bike. I was looking into making it 48v or 60v and coudn't find any other motor that would handle that voltage without overvolting(i've read that overvolting can ruin the motor).the 36v 750w motor from tncscooters was the highest rating i found until i came across this. feedback please :)

#3 ·
That 48 volt 750 watt motor will be fine on 60 volts.Usually you can overvolt a motor by 1.5 times it's rated voltage.The 48 volt 750 watt motor might fit in the mx500 swing arm unmodified or you might have to swap end caps on the motors.Also that one 750 watt motor that can handle 48-60 volts, is a brushless motor so if you wanted to run that one you would have swap controllers with a brushless one.

#5 ·
I do not think you will run into heat problems but if you do run into heat problems you could put a cooling fan to cool the motor.Are your batteries 12 or 7 amp bateries because the stock controller can handle 60 volts of 7 amp batteries but only 48 volts of 12 amp batteries.You probably should get new batteries unless your stock batteries are new because your sla batteries will be at different amps so your new batteries would get damaged and you would have to buy 5 new sla batteries which are expensive.

#6 ·
well i dont have everything yet.i just want to make a list of everything i would need. then i would just assemble it all at once. If i were to get 60v of batteries, how would i assemble it into the bike? it doesn't look like there is much room. and would an investment in a new controller, maybe a controller rated at 60v, be better? also how would my battery life be? would 60v of batteries in the 48v 750w motor last longer than 48v of batteries? much thanks for the feedback :)

#7 ·
I run a stock motor/controller with 8ah sized batteries...same size as 7ah. They fit in the battery tray perfectly and boost the speed to almost 10mph faster than stock without doing a thing. The controller gets pretty **** hot as does the motor, but I've been running it hard for months now. I even changed to a 13/80 gearing and it gets even hotter, but no damage.
I have recently switched to a 48v 40amp controller to keep it from over heating...runs just fine, but much shorter run time below the lvc is higher than with the 36v controller.
Anyway a motor swap is kind of expensive given the preformance gain.
The only 60v controller I know of is 100amp. you'll burn your motor out.
You won't get longer run time with 60v since you're overvolting. The motor is spinning faster and using more energy.
I would upgrade the batteries then focus on a motor. explore your battery options.

#8 ·
hmmmmm. well i dont really understand how all these amps and ah's and volts work(i didn't pay attention in physics class :p). so what would be an ideal setup for modding the bike? i was thinkin more batteries ,new motor ,and the electrical stuff inside(controllers? and stuff)maybe twiddle with the sprockets?

#9 ·
step #1 in modding your bike; buy 5 new batteries....
http://cgi.ebay.com/UB1280-D5779-12...557076422?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item1e65cee3c6

put them in your bike. it will be fast...mine hits 24mph stock. nothing changed but the batteries.
ride it until it burns up, then upgrade your controller to something more beefy. if your motor burns out upgrade your motor.
see just changing the batteries is enough of a mod because now you have to wire them in and find a charging method for 60v

if you don't like that option buy 4 batteries and use a 48v charger. it's easier but won't go as fast.

start with the batteries, then move onto the motor....unless you drasticly mod the bike there's only 1 motor that will fit on the bike and it's only 100 extra watts. why waste the money when you have to buy batteries 1st?

#11 ·
wear and tear on anything will wear out. even if you ran the motor on 36vasintended it will wear out. the brushes are little grafite bard that rub againt the commutar...both words are horribly spelled but you get the point.
you are pushing the rpmsto insane amounts so yeah things will wear out. I've had my bikes fora year now and I've been runing them on 48v 7ah, 48v 12ah, 60v 7ah, a 30a, 100a, 30a again, and now a 40a controller. everything gets hot, but they still keep going.
you have the bike, you want to change the motor, why not run it until it breaks down then change the motor? That's my logic. You spend $$$ for a bike, $$$ for batteries....these things ad up. No sense in blowing more $$$ on a motor if you know this will work.

48v w/ a 750watt is not goin to beat 60v 650watt, so have fun with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.