Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have experience with putting other types of gas tanks on an X1 frame so the tank cover can still be used?

I have an APC X1 without the gas tank but I do have the tank cover.
I have the stock carb on with the 2 gas lines.

I know with the tanks for 4 stroke I would have to seal the fitting on the bottom and drill the hole for the gas line grommet.

Thinking about theses:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Ta...ed577e6&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=111640457165

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Baja-A...ash=item281387fc48:g:hIwAAOSwvgdW3sKL&vxp=mtr

or most likely:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Petrol-...304200?hash=item35ef6f20c8:g:o0AAAOSwgQ9VyjzV

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, but I have already contacted them about the x1 gas tank and they say they don't carry it anymore because they cant get them.

Same goes for the other parts sites that show a price for it. I figure the only way to get that tank now is used, but nobody seems to be parting out any right now.

That's why I need other options.

What about a different style carb for the 43cc engine that uses only one gas line?

All ideas are appreciated!

· Banned
21,780 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I have already contacted them about the x1 gas tank and they say they don't carry it anymore because they cant get them.

Same goes for the other parts sites that show a price for it. I figure the only way to get that tank now is used, but nobody seems to be parting out any right now.

That's why I need other options.

What about a different style carb for the 43cc engine that uses only one gas line?

All ideas are appreciated!
I used to have a few of those tanks in my shed.....I repurposed them for homemade methanol injection systems....

The only tank I know that may work under the stock tank cover is the cateye fs509 fueltank...It wont be plug n play either,,,you may have to make a small cheesy bracket to mount it...

The tank with the fuel nipple on the bottom is for engines with carburetors that have floats.....

If you use a tank like that and use the nipple to feed the fuel if the lil needle gets stuck open on the carb it will siphon the whole tank of gas onto the garage/shed floor unless you use a fuel shutoff switch then tuning the fuel rate maybe an issue unless you really boost up the hp on the engine to around 5hp because its a pumper carb which has an internal fuel pump to feed the carb with fuel manually when the engines running....

One time when I built my X181 Naked Streetfighter project I modified an X1 body to work on an X18 and I had to relocate the fueltank hole to work......

I used a plastic welder gun to pull it off.....

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CAM2, Nice job on the tank!
I just ordered the FS509 gas tank because it is set up for the 2 line carb already. The mounting holes seem like it wouldn't take much to get it mounted up. Thanks for the ideas.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tank is close to fitting. A couple adjustments are needed but this is closer than I thought it would be.

Vehicle Machine

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Luxury vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car

The tank needs to come back 1" - 1 1/2" and the filler cap will be accessible.
What I plan to do:
1. Move rear bracket back and lower mounting hole slightly.
2. Make a flat bar to connect front mounting bracket to front gas tank mount. Can attach with bolts easily. This is where the upward adjustment will happen to get the filler neck up flush.

· Banned
23,453 Posts
Hardware stores have all kinds of stuff you can use to make brackets and stuff, and most are Zinc plated so they don't rust.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Jeez if you guys saw how I was running my tank on my cag. :eek: I have no brackets the only thing that holds it in place is the gas cap..:D

· Banned
23,453 Posts
It's good enough, none of my bikes have a gas tank that's mounted to the frame, not even my X18R. On my C1 tank, which is long and flat, I made 2 long cables ties from 4 and cut rubber strips put them between the frame rails and tank bottom, then put one tie in front and the other rear, pulled the ties tight. Also I cut a 2" to 3" rubber donut ring from inner tube and put it around the tank opening and then the tank body.

· Banned
21,780 Posts
Jeez if you guys saw how I was running my tank on my cag. :eek: I have no brackets the only thing that holds it in place is the gas cap..:D
I beleive it because I had a cag like that after I had to chop out all crossbraces to fit all my mods especially the JetPro exhaust......Its the Black Magic Cag...

I used a Mustang 5.0 Intake runner plate mounted off of the forward seat bracket to keep the exhaust from heating up the tank from underneath and I ended up roughing up the top of the gastank with 80 grit then bonded the tank to the bodycover with good old eurethane they use to seal automobile windshields..Its bonded tite n secure for life..:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts