Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an X1 the other day and I just had a few questions..

What can I do to quiet it down a bit -- it's really loud and I don't want to disrupt my neighbors.

As of right now it is stock -- any tips on how to increase speed without purchasing performance parts?

Any tips on what parts I should buy for this bike to make it better/faster?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
For free speed, get the brakes setup so they can stop you well, but don't drag, get the high speed and low speed carburetor settings dialed in.

if it's not already new, pull the spark plug out and take it with you to an auto parts store, for $2-$4 you can get a nice new plug or two, then maybe check that the coil to flywheel gap is set.

to quiet it down, this is a super common question, and even I am working on something to address this issue, but what I'm working on is not ready yet, and the "stalker" muffler cans are pretty expensive, but hopefully something might come on to the market pretty soon!

Best upgrade part in my book, is a new carburetor, it can make a nice upgrade, Cam2 just posted a link to a nice and (cheap) exhaust pipe, which would make a nice difference too.

Good luck, and have FUN!

So I bought an X1 the other day and I just had a few questions..

What can I do to quiet it down a bit -- it's really loud and I don't want to disrupt my neighbors.

As of right now it is stock -- any tips on how to increase speed without purchasing performance parts?

Any tips on what parts I should buy for this bike to make it better/faster?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Yeah and they arrived yesterday morning.............

One of these,,boost bottle,,rocket key,,e-starter removed,,lightened flywheel,,lightened clutch,,hp carb,,velocity stack and racing tip sparkplug will help

For mods check out a thread from a member here named bikerpbl...he has an X-1 also......Good Luck with your bike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you guys know of any high performance carbs that would be best for my X1 bike.. If so could you post a link.. also is anyone selling a pipe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies -- there's just one problem: this is my first bike and I have no idea how to work on one sadly :[

And I was also wondering if it's possible to idle on an X1? I have to choke it by pulling the pull start a few times until it starts, then turn the choke off and if I don't give it a little bit of a rev, it will just shut off. As well as when I'm riding -- I have to slowly let go of the throttle and if I fully let go to where there's no rev -- it shuts off mid-ride. Basically, I can't fully stop unless i hold the throttle just a little bit the entire time [if it goes to no rev then it shuts off] and I'm guessing that wears my brakes down because i can't just let go of the throttle and brake or it will shut off, therefore I'm lightly giving it gas and braking at the same time which I know isn't good... any help please?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
There is an Idle adjustment screw near the top of the carburetor, I cant remember if it's on the left or right side, but it should be a little silver Phillips head screw, turn it in for more idle speed, but too much and the bike will try to take off as soon as you get it started.

there should be an adjustment point up at the throttle to remove any extra slack in the cable too, but this is not a good way to set the idle, the idle screw is where you want to set up the idle RPM's

Good luck, and any parts you are unsure of, just post a picture and we will HOOK You UP with some free info!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I really appreciate your guys' tips and the picture, because I have only ridden my friend's pocket bike a few years prior to purchasing my own and the only other motorized toy I've had was a California Go-Ped Sport with hp carb and a non-stock air filter and that's how I fixed the idle for the Go-Ped but it's been six years since I've had one so thanks for the memory refresh.

Excuse the super long reply but I keep coming up with stuff I could use help with on this bike -- it starts up and runs alright, just a lot of problems that need attention.

I will also post pictures, but my camera phone sucks so I might just use my laptop and get good views of stuff. Can you give me suggestions on what I should take pictures of? It's a pretty beaten up X1 now that I actually think about it :/ but it does run. I would say this as my first bike will also be my first learning experience/project into the world of motorized toys :D .

Here are the damages:

There is sun damage on the windshield [not a big deal], pretty sure it's been spray painted but that doesn't really matter to me, broken front brake lever, speedometer doesn't work, rusty on about half of the chain [guessing i shud just get a new one or will WD-40 help?], no key for whatever the key spot is for [sorry again I'm a noob], idk if the battery works or not but there is one present -- I don't have a charger either so my lights don't work, one of the back brake lights are broken as well [not riding at night at the moment, so I can purchase a charger in the future]. It also seems as if the handle bars aren't centered or some sort of alignment problem, because I can turn left a bit easier than I can turn right -- when I turn left it turns decently and when I turn right I can barely turn because my hand touches the gas tank after barely turning [it looks like it turns a bit more left than right.. just checked] which makes me have to pretty much let go of the throttle to balance myself, making it shut off [until i fix the idle problem tonight]. I've tried turning right several times and couldn't complete the turn because of this. Also, I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be two big bolts/screws holding the front of the frame down as well, there are slots for them but no bolts/screws. Idk how to "dial in" the low speed/high speed thing which everyone talks about either. When adding pressure and releasing pressure off of the bike up and down the shocks in the front are squeaky -- possibly WD-40 will work but I don't know for sure. I could also use some tips on how to remove the frame [if thats what its called] off the bike so I can clean it and what not.

Also, is there a good place in Chandler, Arizona in which I can purchase parts for this bike, or does it have to be online? If online, what's the best website to get parts from?

I appreciate anyone that can help me with the gigantic list of problems I have with this. Hopefully one day it can be slick instead of just a running motorbike lol. Sorry for being such a noob! gotta start somewhere right?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
No problem, the long reply will require another somewhat long reply so sorry if I'm long winded...

The handle bars, If you follow the bars right back to where they mount to the forks you should be able to see the mounting blocks, look on the back of them and you should see the two bolts (per handlebar) that "Clamp" the mounting blocks around the forks, if you loosen one or both of those bolts you should be able to move the handle bars up and down and in and out, I would make them both straight out, then move them in an inch at a time until you get them where you want them, that should help get the steering back to normal.

Dialing in the low and high speed settings, well on the carburetor, there is the idle adjust (you already got that one dialed) and then on the side of the carburetor should be the (low speed) needle adjust, it should have a spring on it, gently turn it all the way in, then back out about one and a half turns, then try it out and dial it up or down a little to get the bikes low speed power setup.

The high speed needle adjust is at the top of the carburetor and is adjusted using a flat head (short) screwdriver, I don't remember what the best setting for this one is, but, with the rear wheel off the ground (be CAREFUL!) you can rev the engine, and tune the high speed till you get the best (Highest) RPM's.

As for buying, just check out our poll section, and maybe even the better business bureau site, and be sure to use a Visa to pay, that way if anything goes bad visa can help make sure it gets fixed quickly.

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f194/

:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all your help so far man, I just read the first few words of each to see what you're going to be helping me with. But I am currently in my garage with my laptop and my brother and I found the idle screw, screwed it in just a tad [and now that i think of it, it might be the low speed settings that we just changed because there was a spring on it and it was a flathead], pulled the pull start a few times and now the pull start won't go back into its reel or whatever you want to call it. do you know a way to fix that? im looking at my old goped pull start that i found and trying to figure out to fix it -- i really hope theres a way i wanted to test the idle o_O

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Inside the pull start, Under the starter "Paw" is a big "Clock spring" it has maybe slipped out of place, or possibly broken where it mounts to the pull start housing, this is what (always has) some tension on it, and when you pull it gets even more tension, then winds the cord back up.

It's a best practice to not "over-pull" (length wise) the starter cord, 1 1/2 foot should be more than enough, the big long 2-3ft pulls will mess up that spring setting usually.

I appreciate all your help so far man, I just read the first few words of each to see what you're going to be helping me with. But I am currently in my garage with my laptop and my brother and I found the idle screw, screwed it in just a tad [and now that i think of it, it might be the low speed settings that we just changed because there was a spring on it and it was a flathead], pulled the pull start a few times and now the pull start won't go back into its reel or whatever you want to call it. do you know a way to fix that? im looking at my old goped pull start that i found and trying to figure out to fix it -- i really hope theres a way i wanted to test the idle o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Inside the pull start, Under the starter "Paw" is a big "Clock spring" it has maybe slipped out of place, or possibly broken where it mounts to the pull start housing, this is what (always has) some tension on it, and when you pull it gets even more tension, then winds the cord back up.

It's a best practice to not "over-pull" (length wise) the starter cord, 1 1/2 foot should be more than enough, the big long 2-3ft pulls will mess up that spring setting usually.

Yeah I thought so... I didn't pull start it... my brother did.... and literally five seconds before that i said let me try....lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so... i guess i got it open, and oh my jesus the person who owned this bike before me was a dirty man! so much rusty-colored dirt... hope i get this to work

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya it was pretty nasty haha got it nice and cleaned out now just gotta be able to get the spring to attach to the last part and it shud be set... having trouble lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
An easy way to test the spark plug is to un-screw it out of the cylinder then have someone hold it up against the cylinder on the outside.. also make sure its touching, then pull the pull start and see if there is a spark!.. also make sure when you are holding it against the cylinder you keep the cover on it so the electric current can create the spark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I hate not having a lot of tools, I can't even take out my own spark plug because I don't have any wrenches or pliers or any size ratchet to fit it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then again, I can't even re-spring my gsmoon pull start ... my brother and I have been at it for I'm guessing over eight hours and just fail fail fail... one success and it was put in backwards so we tryied again and fail fail fail... still trying... I don't want to buy a new one and wait forever when I just got my first bike... i want to ride it NOW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts