Pocketbike Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Id figure his bike should start with its settings since it was previously running on those settings.
Most bikes will and run on the choke only and operate with the choke half open and die when the choke is fully open or the throttle is cracked....

Reason why is when the choke flap is closed it is blocking off more air and introducing more fuel when the engine is cold but when the flap is opened it should run as intended...

If the engine pitch gets higher thats a leanout condition...That means you need more fuel...........click on video below

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok sorry.
I completely forgot of the winter/summer factor in how dense the air is etc etc. Sorry for the dumb question.
Nice video though im gunna use it when I get home maybe I can get my bike running abit smoother.
Thanks. an sorry.
I think Teebow got it anyways as he hasent chimmed in again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having issues with my X1 as well. I picked it up dirt cheap hoping with a little fluff and buff for a flip.
I figured it would need a carb cleaning and should be good to go. There wasn't a battery in it but it has the pull start so I figured no big issue. Wrong marcelo: mad:
I bought a new 15mm stock carb and after reading through I made some adjustments. The adjustment screw posted by CAM2 was screwed all the way in. I unscrewed it to 1.5 turns and the lower screw on the side is set to 2.5 turns. This is one of the weed whacker bulb prime carbs.
Pull start is effortless but on the electric start it hardly wants to turn over. I also reset the armature air gap. Spark is good and strong and it spins over easy on the electric starter without the plug in. With my finger over the plug hole I have strong compression. No I did not do a compression gauge test, but after 26 years as a mechanic I know that compression isn't the issue. It has new fuel lines and a new screen clunk filter in the tank.
CAM2 do you have any suggestions? This thing has me pulling my hair out because everything shows that it should run. Before replacing the carb I could get it to run by spraying carb cleaner but not for very long that way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
So after pulling out my hair last night I checked my fuel lines again. My fuel line in the tank had come off the pass through nipple. I decided this morning to just get new lines and replaced the plug with an Autolite. All I need to do now is sort out the electrical to get the lights and horn working. I can then put the fairing back on it and it is ready to go. It had a little bit of a hard time getting moving as I am not a lightweight but once it got started it went pretty good.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Just keep on truckin, your doing good. Even on a new bike, there are all kinds of bugs to work out. Just fix one thing at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just keep on truckin, your doing good. Even on a new bike, there are all kinds of bugs to work out. Just fix one thing at a time.
Thanks ERP This was a used bike that I picked up. The guy was asking $150 for it but I got him down to $70. It needs a few lights replaced and a good going over of the electrical system.
Here in Ct we can ride them down the street as long as we have a drivers license. They don't need registration because they are less than 50cc. I am going to see how I can get it to charge the battery while running because it didn't come with the battery charger. I do like that it starts first pull though

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
That's a good sign , easy starting. Here in California, the only legal thing I own is the 49cc seat/stand scooter. My 150cc Legal road scooter has Ca. license plates and insurance. The cops love to impound these bikes, lol. I use a 12v car charger on 2 amps, don't go any higher. I put 2 wires off my battery under the body work to pull out and charge. Some bikes have a charging plug under the speedo on a chrome bracket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This has the screw plug next to the ignition switch and fuse. My headlights and tail lights are not coming on and the horn doesn't work I did get a beeping from the turn signal because it has one :eek: before I sell this I need to get all of that worked out. Any idea what I should ask for it? It runs well and seems to pull hard. I am 210 so it struggles a little but moves out fair enough. I need to put a dab of glue to hold the low idle screw. It would be nice if there was a way to draw power off of the mag to keep the battery charged

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I have read the starter motor also acts as a generator. Is there a way to connect it so that it charges the battery? Maybe with using a diode so that power flows one direction off of the starter wire post of the solenoid to the battery wire post? Or even putting in some sort of a regulator?

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW a great way to set the low speed jet is using a DVOM and connect to the 2 leads off of the mag. That is on the 43cc engine, I believe you can do it as well on the 49cc. I was able to dial the low idle screw to get it right at 2150 for idle.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I raise the idle till the clutch pads hit the bell and back it off a hair. If you want a good start you have to hold the bike back and crank on the throttle to get the RPMs up and then Launch it, lol. Watch any race, were there is a standing start and you will hear engine screaming before they drop the green flag.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts