Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a x1 here that I cannot get started..customer said it was running fine then it just sort of bogged out and died and now wont start again. I pulled the plug and it seemed pretty wet so i let the cylinder dry out a bit then also tested the plug to see if the coil was firing and it was. I swapped out carburetors as well and tried to turn it over and it will not fire up. I know it is getting gas cause after a while it starts to leak out of the exhaust flange where it meets the head. What else could it be? The bike is getting air, fuel and spark so the only other thing I can think of is maybe the timing got messed up? It feels like it has plenty of compression as well. Help please

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would start by dumping out your customers gas and trying some fresh mix. Some people will just go out to the shed and grab the old can of snowblower premix and throw that in there or sometimes they use an old can which has some contaminents in it. My friend did this and I had a heck of a time finally figuring out what the problem was. I'm not saying this is for sure your problem but it is somethig that according to what you mentioned you haven't checked yet. I wish you success in figuring out the problem no matter what it is. Sometimes when mine gets flooded I just hold the throttle wide open and let it get some air in there, most of the time it will start after that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
also you may want to try adjusting the flywheel closer to the magneto with a set of gap feelers .010 or .008. there was a post on this fix before the hackers got us, but the guy was having a hell of time getting the bike started and this was the fix give it a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same issue with my X1. I got spark and the plugs wet. I tore down the carb and everything seems fine. I haven't messed much with this engine. Do you pull the pull starter off to get to the fly wheel/magneto?

·
Registered
325 Posts
herbie said:
I am having the same issue with my X1. I got spark and the plugs wet. I tore down the carb and everything seems fine. I haven't messed much with this engine. Do you pull the pull starter off to get to the fly wheel/magneto?
no i didnt take anything off to adjust it, just the orange engine cover to exspose the flywheel and get the gap feelers between the magneto and the magnet part of the flywheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, check the Mag. It's fine. I think the Carb is the culpret. I talked to one of our local small engine repair guys today and he is now dealing in Pocket Bikes. The good news is he has already torn down the 47cc motors and fixed its faults. His 47cc bike does over 50mph. No lie! and he did it with chainsaw motor parts that were around the shop and special porting. We talked for a while and he will do a full job on my 49cc motor for $250.00. I just might take him up on it. PS. He builds some of the nastiest racing karts motors around(2 Strokes and Briggs).

I torn the carb down...It's a piece of junk and can see why my bike doesn't run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts