Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spazz
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm removing all the wiring off my X1 project. I need the kill switch, so I read up and I'm going to rewire it to make the e-start button my killswitch. The thing is, I got some conflicting info. One thread said to connect the wire on the tranny side of the motor directly to the e-start.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/mk2mike/IMG_0674.jpg

Another thread said to connect the positive wire from there and the ground wire that is connected to the brass screw on the tranny side. If this is what I have to do, how do I tell which wire is the positive?

I'm not to good with wiring:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont believe that using your EZ start button will work. that particular switch applys power only when pushed so if you did use that switch the bike would run only when the switch is pushed in and then shut off right when it is let go. a toggle switch will work the best for you and is availible at many auto parts stores. the wire bolted to the tranny side of the engine with the brass screw is what needs to be used. a switch needs to be put on that single wire. what you will do is cut the wire a few inches from the brass bolt. you will now have two wires connect both wires to opposite sides of the switch. if your switch has three connectors one wire will go to the center connector and the other wire to one of the outside connectors. it doesnt matter which wire goes which connector. if your bike can run right now as it is you can test this out. start your bike and verify that it runs, shut your bike down and remove the wire from the brass bolt and try to start your bike i'm betting it wont run. you can find all the parts for wiring and extending the wires to wherever you want to mount your switch.

just remember to test if that wire will stop your bike from running, before doing any mods or cutting any wires. if that is the wire and you need help wiring in the switch just let me know and i'll assist the best i can. good luck.

·
Spazz
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I thought that when the circuit for the killswitch is disconnected the engine runs, and then when you complete it the engine shuts down...in other words when the circuit is completed by pushing the e-start button it shuts the engine down...but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Chief here is what you want to do and it's the easiest.
Follow the wire from your starter button to it connector and unplug it. Than follow the 2 small wires the come out of the coil to it's connector and unplug it. Now plug the connector from the starter button to the connector from the coil.
Now your starter button is your killswitch.
No need to cut any wires or rewire anything.
Now it's safe to remove all electrical.

·
Registered
26 Posts
posting on an old thread.. i know. i want to do the same...but i have no connectors, the coil has 2 spade terminals that HAD wires on them and the little yellow engine start button has a pair of small wires.. a blue and a black. how would i go about hooking this up? this is the only thing keeping me from actualy fireing up my bike for the first time since i got it..and it has no electrical system on it..completly removed.

·
Registered
24,127 Posts
On an X1 coil, if it has 2 wires one goes to a kill button and back to the coil wire attached to one of the coil mount holes when you push the button it connects the hot wire to grounded wire which stops the coil from firing. You can just touch the hot wire to the engine or frame to stop it. If the bike had a key the key would ground it when you turn it to off. If the wires are not connected to anything the bike will still run. All you need is a switch or button to ground the coil when you want.

·
Banned
21,721 Posts
If the wiring has been removed just simply plug the starter button on the throttle into the plug coming from the coil.....instant Killswitch....:tango_face_glasses:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts