Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

So I have a X1 Red Pocket Bike that was sitting in the shed for about 2 years. I had it running before it was stored, this weekend I wanted to get it started. Of course the Battery was dead and I ordered one from FleaBay for $15.

I thought I'd start it up with the GSmoon pull start, the engine turned and seemed like it would of start after a few more pulls. Of course I primed the gas and cleaned out the old gas tank throughly and replenished with fresh 20:1 gas/oil mix. So what happened the GSmoon cable broke and the coil was off it's track.

My neighbor came by and with all good intentions tried to help. He helped recoil the pull start coil and double knotted the end of the pull cable. Smacked it back on the tried again after the first pull I heard the coil unhook again. I had it and was going to put it away . My bright neighbor that never listens suggested to jump start like we do with our liter motorcycles when in a jam. I didn't think it was a good idea .... But again my bright neighbor tried twice to push start it. Now my REAR WHEEL is Locked. Can anyone help me on what I can check for to free up the rear wheel.

2 Days later today 6/8/11 I received the battery that I ordered. Smacked it on and tried starting. Horn worked, lights worked, when I tried to start it up the started pulled but seemed locked also. The engine did not turn it seemed like what ever is locking up the rear wheel is alos preventing the electric starter from turning. I removed the GSmoom starter cap and twirled up the pull cable and pulled, the motor still turns, So I think it's either the Transmission / Clutch or the electric starter. I ordered a new pull start pull cable it should be here in another 4 days ( I hope ) ....

Can anyone help me here, has anyone run into this issue before? Again the major suspect is my neighbor trying to push start the bike, which locked up the rear wheel. HELP HELP PLEASE. I'd really love to get this bike running again then I can get my 7 yr old who's been waiting waiting.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is stuck open into the "Clutch Bell" which would cause the rear wheel to be pretty much "locked" with the engine, if you pull the transmission (where the front pinion is) you should be able to see the clutch under it, usually a broken spring, or a clutch pad that came off and jammed is a prime suspect.

the clutch uses a spring to hold it closed (small) and as the RPM's go up they will overpower the spring and allow the clutch to open into the "bell"

check out post number 4 on this thread...

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f172/49cc-cat-eye-problem-60472.html

Good luck, I'm sure you can get it fixed up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the clutch is stuck open into the "Clutch Bell" which would cause the rear wheel to be pretty much "locked" with the engine, if you pull the transmission (where the front pinion is) you should be able to see the clutch under it, usually a broken spring, or a clutch pad that came off and jammed is a prime suspect.

the clutch uses a spring to hold it closed (small) and as the RPM's go up they will overpower the spring and allow the clutch to open into the "bell"

check out post number 4 on this thread...

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f172/49cc-cat-eye-problem-60472.html

Good luck, I'm sure you can get it fixed up!

Thanks Nick, I'm a bit of a newbie with pocket bike but thought they were fun to drag my knees when not on the track... ; - ) Can someone send me a pic of the X1 Clutch Bell.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the black round part is the bell, basically works like a "Drum brake" like on the rear of most cars / trucks.
Nick,

Thanks going to open her up to tonight after work and give it a try. Btw, are there any gaskets i may need to replace taking this apart on the X1? Appreciate the support. I'll let u know how it goes tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick,

Was thunderstorming last night after work, I'll get to it tonight

Also received the new pull start today so I'm psyched. Will update tonight successful or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Nick,

Well I took a crack at it today and stopped after I couldn't get out the clutch, I also loosened a bolt on the bottom in it was a drain plug, and oil leaked out ... Duh....

Anyway I unscrewed 2 of the long bolts that mount to the engine and 2 short bolts that mount to the frame. The remaining bolts I kept on I did notice there were 2 gaskets in between the the transmission plates.

Any idea which other bolts I should unscrew and how I should remove the pinion to get to the clutch bell?

Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Take the 2 bolts left of the transmission, one has a ground wire attached, they are what holds that whole unit to the engine, the 2 long bolts too. You can bolt a Cag clutch house up, when you take the other part off.
There is also a bracket holding in in place, looks like you took the bolts out. The small screws around the outside may have to come off too.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Sounds like your coil came loose and is stuck to the flywheel. Reset the gap between the coil and the flywheel using a business card.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi All,
Thanks for your help thus far, you've all been very helpful, got the Clutch out today.

Now for the BAD and GOOD.

The Bad - Got to the Clutch Bell by removing 2 bolts as EPR suggested and 3 additional bolts holding the engine. Lifted the engine pryed open the clutch from the engine with a flat head screw driver. When I pulled it out, I heard two things fall out. It was padding between the clutch bell and the clutch. Please see pics. Can I just glue this back (if so what kinda glue should I use ? Will it hold? Is this normal? ) or do I need to order new parts? If so what part # and where can I find it.

Now the good!!! now that the clutch was lose and I attempted to start the bike. It started up after 2 yrs of storage, started right away with the electric start. At least there was something positive.

The first 2 pics where without the padding, the last two photos was me just placing the top piece on and holding up the second.. I would think it should be as simple as glueing it back on but what type of glue would hold it?

Everyone on this forum has been very helpful, I'm almost there. Please help me answer these last few questions, I'm itching to get this baby back on the road.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Dude you need a new clutch unit, davesmotors has close out prices they had that clutch for $2 ww570.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys ordered a new clutch unit via FleaBay for $5 and $5 shipping the other day, I hope to get it by tomorrow worse case by early next week. I'll update as soon as I smack it on.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Well seeings you have it apart that far you should pop for a rocket key,,lighten the flywheel,,remove the basegasket from under head and yamabond the head down wiothout a gasket,,lighten the new clutch pads,, add a hp clutch spring and install a rev pipe........

That X1 will have so much bottomend takeoff itll make you smile with glee...............

When you install the new pads make sure the shoulder bolts dont have any rust or oxidation and you use a dab of copperbased anti-seize compound to them too....

Also take 100 grit sandpaper and sand the glaze out of the drum and scuff up the new clutch shoes too

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
After 2 years better sand the rust off your coil arms and flywheel magnets and set the gap at .020", if you want a good spark, I would get a new NGK BM6A I believe spark plug also. Your clutch arms could be rusted to the pins and will not connect with your bell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts