Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased an '06 X18 last spring as a project bike. I don't think it was very well taken care of because when I picked it up, the carb was gummed up so bad the slide wouldn't even move. After I got that cleaned out it seemed to run fine, also put in a NGK plug. Next I replaced the stock air filter with a small cone style one and opened up the exhaust by drilling through the tube with the 12 small holes going into the muffler and removing the rear 1/2" restriction tube. I use a bathtub drain cover from Lowe's (still enough surface area with the holes in it to not restrict the flow) as a baffle and that combined with the end cap gives it a nice quiter sound without the severe restriction. Now I'm rejetting. The stock jetting was 40/735. I ordered a jet set and put in a 83 main jet and the throttle response improved drastically. The best clip position is 2nd from top.

The problem I'm having is that whenever I open up to 3/4 or full throttle the bike stalls out. I'm not sure if it's too much or too little fuel. It doesn't seem to smoke so I'm thinking that it's not getting enough fuel. I removed the float bowl tab and it may have improved a little but still dies. With a 79 jet it still dies at full throttle, although it may rev slightly higher but with a worse throttle response.

When the bike bogs out, I have to let off and just pump the throttle for a few seconds until it revs down again. I've found alot of good info on the forum but can't seem to find a solution for this. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my cagllari pls can some one help me i have no idea what is is it just dies when i give it full throttle i haven't tried the idle screw yet but i don't know how to adjust it either and when i give it full trhottle it like chokes for example i can give it full throttle and then release it quickly and it won't shut off but if i keep it there it will shut of pls someone help me

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Pull the spark plug out and see what color it is White/Gray is lean, Brownish Tan is better, and dark carbon to Rich.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sounds like youre not getting enough fuel at wide open. Need to make sure all passages in carb are as clean as they can be. Take small piece of wire copper wire and run it through them and also clean it with hot soapy water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the plug says that it's running rich. I believe I've removed the factory restrictions any only currently have a 79 main jet in. From searching the forum it should need a higher size than that. When I put the carb back together the first time, it was leaking fuel and I had to adjust the float. Would the float height not being set right cause that much of a difference, and if so what should it be set at?

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes float height will effect it / if float is set high it will run lean and if set low it runs rich( carb upside down for this). You want it set pretty much level with carb base for most carbs. gotta be set so that main jet never becomes uncovered but not set so that too much fuel is fed causing (rich condition).

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Your carb has a primer bulb on the bottom right?? I have a few of those, there a 15mm Walbro WYK copy pumper carb. It pumps fuel out of the tank and the other line returns to the tank. If the pump is not working right you might not get enough gas at high speeds. There is an idle adjust, small screw on top with a brass slotted Low jet adj. in the middle top of the carb piston and on the side, the springed screw is the High jet adj. On the high, turn it in all the way, not hard, just till it seats, how many turns?? Turn it out to 2 1/4 turns and reset your idle screw if needed. Ride it, if it and if not right open another 1/4 turn see what that does. If that don't go back to 2 turns out see what happens??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.