Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've been riding my x18 for a little bit now, just getting a feel for it. I got it for $120 and ive put another $400 or so into it already... :eek:

So far all ive done to it is put on a 22mm mikuni, and a new exhaust. And it seems SO much faster than stock! I also put on a new Kenda 130/90-10 rear tire and it is so nice. It looks silly with such a big rear tire, but it rides nice!

Everything has been going great until about half an hour ago.... I have riden it a few hours today just cruising around my neighborhood and just as i was nearing my house, the chain popped off. Or so i thought! Once i got it back into my garage i realize that what had actually happened is a few of the rear sprocket bolts had backed out, and then the last few got pulled out!

Here is what it looks like...

What I am wondering is what i should do about this? Just use 4 bolts? Move the sprocket a few degrees and redrill all 6 holes in between the existing ones? Get a new rim?

Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
It looks like if you can get that one snapped one out of there, you could chase the threads out on all of em with a tap (someone else will have to chime in on the size...i know its metric, but thats all i can tell ya...) and run all six... And invest in a tube of threadlock...LOL

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
its hollow inside, you cant go deeper
i would concede defeat on that side and flip the rim around and put sprocket on the side the rotor is on
you really need the holding of all 6 bolts on the power side
on the stop side you could use 3 holes, and that would be a good thing to try and tap those in, i had to do both front rims i have with dual rotors so i know how it is
gl

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well , its done. I drilled and tapped 6 new holes in between the old ones. I got 5 that are perfect, and one that is off. Not bad for doing it by hand lol. I went straight to M8x1.25 with them, so there will be plenty of strength! Ill put a pic up in a minute.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, i think it should be fine. In a perfect world i would fill the old holes with weld and then reface the surface flat on a mill. But not having a welder or a mill really keep me from doing that.... lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
its hollow inside, you cant go deeper
i would concede defeat on that side and flip the rim around and put sprocket on the side the rotor is on
you really need the holding of all 6 bolts on the power side
on the stop side you could use 3 holes, and that would be a good thing to try and tap those in, i had to do both front rims i have with dual rotors so i know how it is
gl
Hey Blitz, I was thinking that I measured correctly and the x18 hub was not symmetrical. That is that one side sticks out slightly more than the other side. I know you have a stack of wheels to look at so can you verify this? I had to drill out broken stuff on both sides of my rear and I didn't mark the sprocket side. Thanks

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
far as i can tell they are even, ive use them both ways, the swingarm on the x18 is offset
if they are off it cant be more than a mm, but this is the chinese were talkin bout

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I've gotten away with racing with just 3 bolts holding the rear sprocket on. I just kept checking them after each time the track session was over. I wouldn't suggest this though i just didn't care to much and wanted to ride! Always make sure the wheel and chain is aligned. If you using better bolts use a lock washer and loctite.

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
Yeah, i think it should be fine. In a perfect world i would fill the old holes with weld and then reface the surface flat on a mill. But not having a welder or a mill really keep me from doing that.... lol
you could use jb weld to fill the holes and then a file to smith it out just to make sure your rim stays together I personally would not like my sprocket to rip out anything past 10mph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.