Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I bought a new air intake filter for my x-19 from PBU but it only came with the filter. Is there another part i need in order to connect to my stock carb? Just to add before i posted i did connect the intake to the back of the Carb where the old stock intake hose was connected. When using the throttle it makes a whooshing sound as if to much air is being sucked in and chocking the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So am i doing it right? When i took the AP Filter off and reconnect the stock intake hose and filter it works great, so i guess that rules out any clogs or dirty carb issues.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hello I bought a new air intake filter for my x-19 from PBU but it only came with the filter. Is there another part i need in order to connect to my stock carb? Just to add before i posted i did connect the intake to the back of the Carb where the old stock intake hose was connected. When using the throttle it makes a whooshing sound as if to much air is being sucked in and chocking the engine.
PBU sent you a "pod" type filter that works in place of the restrictive "elephant trunk" stock filter assembly. Don't be alarmed by all the air noise, it's normal. However you might have to richen the carb jetting just a bit if you feel a hesitation. A performance filter can uncork a lot of airflow...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. Clam when you say "However you might have to richen the carb jetting just a bit if you feel a hesitation. A performance filter can uncork a lot of airflow." I'm assuming you mean adjusting the air/flow screw along with my throttle screw correct? Sorry I'm new to this hobby but I'm enjoying every minute.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Clam when you say "However you might have to richen the carb jetting just a bit if you feel a hesitation. A performance filter can uncork a lot of airflow." I'm assuming you mean adjusting the air/flow screw along with my throttle screw correct? Sorry I'm new to this hobby but I'm enjoying every minute.
I *think* he might be talking about the "Main Jet"

NaSa

·
NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNIS
1,278 Posts
If your carb has the air fuel adjustment than it may help but u need to find out how the bike is running is it rich or lean more than likely its lean due to sucking in more air and the same amount of fuel try richening the adjustment screw bit read you plug first if its white its running lean if its black its rich if its brown your good you don't want to run your bike or any motor lean for long you will overheat the motor or do more damage and yes he would mean to go up a main jet size on the carb I don't know what you have on your bike but more than likely you are running lean and need to change the main jet up a size do a search for carb tuning ect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. Ill check the plug and see what color it is and take it from there.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you feel the bike hesitating at say 1/3 throttle you can simply raise the needle. The needle should have 5 C clip positions at the top of the needle. This is to alter the fuel flow into the venturi. If you raise the needle you richen the midrange rpm's, if you drop the needle you lean out the midrange. To richen the needle remove the C clip from it's current position and replace the clip in the next LOWER groove. If you have the bone stock exhaust I don't think you will need any jetting adjustments, but this is just some good info on what "could" possibly happen...

If you feel the engine hesitate at WFO throttle now you need to richen the main jet. Jetting takes some time to understand, but once you learn, it's fairly easy to tweak your jets to get your engine to pull clean .

One other comment, if you have a newer 110cc engine you might have the $hitty EPA "tamperproof" restricted carb. If this is the case, you can't perform any jetting changes as the carb is completely sealed. (as was the case with my 2010 X18)

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,026 Posts
More air always requires more fuel. You can try all the tips these guys gave you, raising the needle and turning the air/fuel screw but eventually you will probably not cure the stumble without getting a larger main jet. I would pull it out and go to your local small engine repair or dirt bike shop and see if they have one that is one size up (if your jet is an 85 get a 90) Most motorcycle dealers have bins of jets and they are like $3-7. Heck, if you are in the Detroit area I probably have 200 jets in my toolbox for various carbs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
More air always requires more fuel. .
Maybe.

Remember a combustion engine is simply an air pump. Air in, air out. There is flow limitations created by intake and exhaust components. The more air you let in, the more air needs to be let out. If a choked exhaust is restricting flow, a greater flowing air filter can't offer any performance gains...

Same idea is if you add a 26mm carb, and you only have a 24mm intake manifold...

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Maybe.

Remember a combustion engine is simply an air pump. Air in, air out. There is flow limitations created by intake and exhaust components. The more air you let in, the more air needs to be let out. If a choked exhaust is restricting flow, a greater flowing air filter can't offer any performance gains...

Same idea is if you add a 26mm carb, and you only have a 24mm intake manifold...
I think Bart was talking about "Real" as in well designed engines, functioning correctly might have something to do with it too... :confused:

Maximizinf fuel economy

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,026 Posts
Maybe.

True in some ways. If you upgrade the exhaust you often need to jet up as well but you definately need to jet up when you let in more air across the intake. Think of how the choke works, it is a plate that sits in front of the carb and it allows less air (with obviously the same jet in the carb) and that richens up the intake, opening the choke (removing the restriction) allows it to function normally. Removing the restrictive stock intake is like removing another choke so now the jet is too small as it is set up to run with that bit of restriction in the air flow.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Bart, do you think the Choke on a 2-stroke is to add extra fuel and OIL at start-up? to sort of Pre-lube it?

And, can you share your opinion on why it's important on a 4-stroke? I've only been wrenching on 4-strokes for a few years...

Sorry to thread jack, but I really don't know about carbs on 4-strokes, I was too late, and can not afford something COOL enough to have a Carb! *cough* Hyundai! <--- I really am broke usually...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts