Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to all this so any advice would be really appreciated. I inherited a rather tired red X2 midi moto and started with the basics to get it running. Battery was replaced (spark), carb and fuel line/tank cleaned up (fuel) and new exhaust gasket was fitted. All well, engine starts and is singing sweetly but now I have drivetrain issues. The machine seems to be permanantly in gear and when running with teh back wheel off the ground, any hint of throttle just kills the engine dead. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have other questions around settings like...

How many turns from being fully in on the sprung carb screw (i guess this is mixture) should I be?

And also, the thing ****es fuel out when stood through the airbox, is it missing something?

I am reasonably mechanically minded with two strokes and I understand how a centrifugal clutch works however I have no real diagnostics experience with c/clutches.

Yours truly.

Rob.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Sounds like the "stall clutch" is stuck open, maybe the spring is broken, or it could be that you need a new clutch, sometimes the clutch pads come off (de-laminate) and get jammed in the clutch bell.

turn the mixture screw all the way in, then back out 1 1/2 - 2 turns out, then fine tune it...

leaking fuel, when it's tipped up? that would be normal, there is a "float" just like in a toilet, when the bike is not level it lets fuel flow....

maybe you could install a fuel tap / shut-off valve?

Good luck! :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all thanks. I did post this on a UK forum (Mini Moto Scene) and got zero response. What's the procedure for checking out the stall clutch? Btw I read another thread about gear oil and after nipping downstairs (ha single guy - x2 is in my kitchen!) there's absolutely zero oil in the gearbox. I'm really not one to pester everyone, is there an internet resource whereby I can obtain a user manual?

Really grateful of your response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re the fuel. It leaks heavily from the black air box on the front of the carb. So much so that I run the engine with the tubes in the tank fully out of the mixed fuel and basically starve it of fuel. I know this is bad and could cause seizure if persisted but I have no garage and its the only way i stop my house from stinking of fuel. Would really appreciate help with the stall clutch thing because this motor is sweet as a nut and if I can sort out the fuel leak and the clutch my little boy will love his daddy so much!

Also, took out the top fill bolt and the drain bolt from the gearbox casing and not a drop of oil came out?? ***? Could that be my issue, I will check the clutch for damage too but don't really know where to start?

Thanks Nick. ps. Out of interest where would you mount a fuel tap?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
No problem, the tap is more for storage, it goes between the fuel tank and the carburetor inlet, when it's time to store the bike, you just close the tap, and no more fuel can enter the carb, then just open it when it's time to ride!

It sounds like you need to pull the carburetor bottom off (float bowl) and maybe clean up the valve that is connected to the float, as the fuel fills up the bowl, it raises the float, the float is supposed to raise the needle into the fuel inlet hole and stop more fuel from entering the carburetor.

sometimes it's as simple as bending a tab so the float cuts off the fuel a little bit faster, but I think, on the cateye type engines, it's all plastic...

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Thye transmission only needs 100cc's of light duty 30 weight oil....100cc's isnt very much either..............

Your problem is clutch relaterd most likely either oxidized pad mount holes and rusted shoulder bolts or a busted clutch spring............To get to the clutch you need to remove the transmission

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Sounds like a airleak. I would test for one. by starting it and spray some carb cleaner around the carb area but not in to the airfilter. If the revs change you found a air leak.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts

How many turns from being fully in on the sprung carb screw (i guess this is mixture) should I be?

And also, the thing ****es fuel out when stood through the airbox, is it missing something?

Yours truly.

Rob.

Sounds like your pumper diaphragm in the carb is warped pushing on the internal fork that pushes the needle.............Carb rebuild kits for the WYK Walbros are cheap...You can get one at your local mower repairshop for $10-12

Factory settings are: Lowspeed = 1 1/4 turns out........Highspeed 1 1/4 turns out..Then tune from there then set idle......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts