Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to all this so any advice would be really appreciated. I inherited a rather tired red X2 midi moto and started with the basics to get it running. Battery was replaced (spark), carb and fuel line/tank cleaned up (fuel) and new exhaust gasket was fitted. All well, engine starts and is singing sweetly but now I have drivetrain issues. The machine seems to be permanantly in gear and when running with the back wheel off the ground, any hint of throttle just kills the engine dead. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have other questions around settings like...

How many turns from being fully in on the sprung carb screw (i guess this is mixture) should I be?

And also, the thing ****es fuel out when stood through the airbox, is it missing something?

I am reasonably mechanically minded with two strokes and I understand how a centrifugal clutch works however I have no real diagnostics experience with c/clutches.

Yours truly.

Rob.​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys, thanks sooo much for all your help it seems i have a bust clutch....i whipped the gearbox off and the clutch shoes were in pieces inside the drum and no wonder this made the thing cut out on when the throttle was turned. i now have to work out how to get the clutch out and where to buy one in the UK. One last question, should there be a gasket between the engine and the gearbox? Admittedly there is no oil in there but there was a little bit of grime, road dust and clutch friction dust. Just a thought, yey....should be fixed now all being well! What a great forum, unlike the miserable English beggars, shameful!

Yours Rob a.k.a Granny Pearl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Nick, any tips on removing the clutch? Are the bolts threaded, they look like a set of old style drum brake shoes. They are pretty tight and I'm wondering if I should wedge a piece on 1" x 1" wood somehere to try and stop the thing spinning when I try and undo them. Grrr...Almost there.

Yours Rob.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
They are usually glued in place so the first time is hard!

an impact driver is the bomb, but a standard ratchet can be used if you use something to keep the crank from spinning.

sometimes a light amount of heat (blowtorch on really low) can be used to get the "glue" to loosen up.

I've even gone as far as using the closed end (box) of a wrench and lots of light taps with a (small) hammer, they will come loose some time!

:thumbsup::)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts