Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New to the site!

First of all, my pull starter works great, however, I pulled it off to try starting it with my impact wrench. Like an idiot, I turned the 13mm bolt counterclockwise (opposite of engine rotation) and I made the little metal piece that connects to the pull start no longer able to turn the motor. Right now, it just spins freely any direction without turning the motor. So if I had the pull start on, it would have no resistance and never start.

A guy on youtube said to hold the flywheel and it should tighten, however mine does not.

Any ideas? Its a new motor and my new neighbors are always out riding theirs and I just wanna join lol. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Hey guys! New to the site!

First of all, my pull starter works great, however, I pulled it off to try starting it with my impact wrench. Like an idiot, I turned the 13mm bolt counterclockwise (opposite of engine rotation) and I made the little metal piece that connects to the pull start no longer able to turn the motor. Right now, it just spins freely any direction without turning the motor. So if I had the pull start on, it would have no resistance and never start.

A guy on youtube said to hold the flywheel and it should tighten, however mine does not.

Any ideas? Its a new motor and my new neighbors are always out riding theirs and I just wanna join lol. Thanks in advance!
Why would you take a running bike and try starting it with an impact wrench instead of trying to jump start the e-start motor direct off a car battery??

Sounds like you may of damaged the threads in the crank or the bolt threads if it won't tighten...you could of damaged the pawl too...there's two flatspots the crank end fits into..

Pics if what your dealing with would be Paramount seeings there's two different types of pullstarters with pawls for the x2....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would you take a running bike and try starting it with an impact wrench instead of trying to jump start the e-start motor direct off a car battery??

Sounds like you may of damaged the threads in the crank or the bolt threads if it won't tighten...you could of damaged the pawl too...there's two flatspots the crank end fits into..

Pics if what your dealing with would be Paramount seeings there's two different types of pullstarters with pawls for the x2....
Thanks for your response!!!

I bought just the motor off ebay. Something I shoulda mentioned. It has no electronics. Motor and frame. Therefore impact lol.

I guess Ill pull out the crank...not sure what pawl is, I can look it up. Workin on uploading pics not sure how yet lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If the pawl is the metal thing that catches on the pull starter mine is the circular one. not the more rectangular one. not sure how to post pics

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
If the pawl is the metal thing that catches on the pull starter mine is the circular one. not the more rectangular one. not sure how to post pics

Ok so you have the GSMoon type......there's two cutouts that may need to be reshaped in a vise with a screwdriver..there's two flatspots in the e start bolt hexbolt/ stud combo you may need to bend the tabs out a lil to catch the flatspots in the hex head..

On your engine you should have a 2 1/2" pawl bolt/stud combo that secures the e-start armature to the crankshaft then a hex nut that secures the pawl to everything...

The one pictured is slightly different as the center of mine has a nut welded in the center and screws onto a stud that halfway screws into the crank

There's ways to get things to work....you just need to study the situation and fix or modify the problem to work as intended...

Good luck

Attachments

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
You also have to make sure the metal rods in the pullstarter pushes outwards when the rope is pulled......
I
That's how the pullstarter engages the pawl. .

Last two pics are of the X2 pawl and pawl bolt....

In the last picture you can see the punch marks in the pawl....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so you have the GSMoon type......there's two cutouts that may need to be reshaped in a vise with a screwdriver..there's two flatspots in the e start bolt hexbolt/ stud combo you may need to bend the tabs out a lil to catch the flatspots in the hex head..

On your engine you should have a 2 1/2" pawl bolt/stud combo that secures the e-start armature to the crankshaft then a hex nut that secures the pawl to everything...

The one pictured is slightly different as the center of mine has a nut welded in the center and screws onto a stud that halfway screws into the crank

There's ways to get things to work....you just need to study the situation and fix or modify the problem to work as intended...

Good luck
Mine looks most like this one, with the welded nut. I appreciate you helping me through this.

So if I am following, I should try to remove the pawl and see if the threads on the stud is going into the crank? In order to do that I still need to remove the pawl which is where I am stuck again because it spins freely. I'm doing my best to try to figure it out lol

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Hi
Mine looks most like this one, with the welded nut. I appreciate you helping me through this.

So if I am following, I should try to remove the pawl and see if the threads on the stud is going into the crank? In order to do that I still need to remove the pawl which is where I am stuck again because it spins freely. I'm doing my best to try to figure it out lol

..if the pawl spins freely I can only guess that you have galled the threads using the impact gun to turn the engine over....this is Chinese crap after all and can't stand certain kinds of abuses...

You may need to retap the crank as well as pawl one size larger or to SAE and make a larger stud or you may get lucky using a simple m6 hex bolt.

I've fixed pullstarter on backpack blowers in your situation with mulimetal epoxy,,a tap and a new screw....

Good luck

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
If you look in the center of the pawl stud end you'll see a Allen wrench hex to put an Allen wrench then you use a boxend wrench to spin the pawl off the stud.....

You may have to grab the edge of the pawl with a vise grip and pull towards you while twisting counterclockwise to get the pawl off.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts