Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting so please bear with me. My x2 is very hard to start, which from what I understand is normal during break in. However, my bike will run with the choke all the way on, but not well. Then when I try to take the choke off it wants to die. I think the problem is in the a/f screw setting but I am not sure if it is running rich or lean. Any help would be appreciated. It is a stock carb.:confused:

·
Registered
866 Posts
just keep playin with the screw

every bike is different, so there is no exact same answer...
u have to find were ur bike performs best...

and if u have the choke on, that means theres too much air with the choke off... so go from there... try starting the bike, then rotating the screw...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Turn the a/f screw in completely (righty tighty). Turn it out, 2 1/2 turns.

Turn the idle screw in and start the bike with choke on. If it is revving high turn the idle screw out until it revs down. Wait for the engine to warm up and lift the choke. If the bike sounds like it is going to die turn the idle screw in to bring the revs up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its not the a/f screw. Stock bikes are supposed to run out of the box just fine. It's your idle screw. Look where your throttle linkage goes and the screw should be right there. Don't over tighten (right turn) cus you can break the plastic housing. Trust me, I've done it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put the screw all the way in then turn it out 2 1/2 turns. That should be an ok starting point. Try cleaning off the spark plug and closing the gap down to like .025.

First mod is get the velocity stack, air filter and choke. Then a new spark plug. After those mods, I never had trouble starting the bike and getting it to idle. Before, I would have to crank on it until the motor warmed up basicly.

PS. They are all different. Between my 2 they are way different in how they like to start. One cranks cranks then pop's off. Other doesn't like any throttle at all and has to just warm itself up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My a/f screw out of the box was almost completely out allowing mad amounts of fuel in. You have to cover these bikes with a fine tooth comb before firing them up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried the 2 1/2 turn out thing and the bike will not even start. I have had the bike running well and today I was trying to fine tune the a/f mixture and thats when my problems began. Does it sound like it needs to be richened up or leaned out?:confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just keep tuning and test riding it until u get it right. Like the other members said each bike is different so its hard to determine a normal setting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sesshoumaru562 said:
Just keep tuning and test riding it until u get it right. Like the other members said each bike is different so its hard to determine a normal setting.
I will keep working with the a/f mixture. I just realized last night that I really was not staring out from 2 1/2 turns out as I thought I was. I know the bikw would run good before I Screwed up the a/f mixture. I have put in a hotter plug and prior to yesterday my bike would pull me briskly to 27mph by the speedo in my jeep. This is pretty impressive considering I am 6,3 and 260 pounds. I just need the weather to clear up so I can do some testing with your guys ideas.

·
Registered
231 Posts
pocketbike71 said:
I will keep working with the a/f mixture. I just realized last night that I really was not staring out from 2 1/2 turns out as I thought I was. I know the bikw would run good before I Screwed up the a/f mixture. I have put in a hotter plug and prior to yesterday my bike would pull me briskly to 27mph by the speedo in my jeep. This is pretty impressive considering I am 6,3 and 260 pounds. I just need the weather to clear up so I can do some testing with your guys ideas.
Id be careful with that spark plug, these engines are air cooled so if the plug is too hot, you wont get much run time out of her without overheating. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts