Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm helping a friend work on his x22, which I know is the least desirable x bike. I am wondering what all can be done to wake that 4 stroke up. I'll be pulling it apart before long to ensure no piston scoring or anything. The wiring was a mess that I already fixed up, carb has been cleaned well and the bike runs. It does need a new battery and I'll be rerunning the wiring to make it more manageable. There were 2 body welds that are being rewelded and the frame will be braced a little better. Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spark plug was the first thing done, I'll check out the coil though. I'm assuming the exhaust is fairly restrictive but I can fabricate one of those. It's a 4 speed semi auto trans so a new clutch isn't as easy as a 2 stroke. I know there has to be more than can be done, from the calculations I've done from the information I have power output on these is paltry and more is there to be tapped.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ah, well good for you! it sounds like the bike is in pretty good shape, so good luck! keep us posted on anny updates

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Oh yeah plenty can be done.... First off a race head and cam,big bore kit or/and a stroker crank. Plus a racing cdi box along with a bigger carb.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some things to wake up my X22 was Blue Anodized racing CDI,supercoil,,Iridium sparkplug,,,25mm from an XL185 carb with 25mm intake from a TRX90 quad,,modified the exhaust cans by removing the internal baffleplates and turning the EPA system into a crankcase evac system to reduce the parachute effect.....

Theres a few more things I did to modify the centrifugal wetclutch and to reduce friction on the wheel bearings and I also was running light duty full synthetic engine oil formulated for wetclutches and overbored the cylinder to a 55.5mm bore....

My X22 bone stock topped out at 38mph.....With mods it went 52mph and took off pretty quickly...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are there any good write-ups for turning the epa into a crankcase evac? I've seen a little about that through searching around but it's all basically saying to do it, not how to. Cam what carb would you suggest? I'd like something decent price these would be long run goals but some of these I can do on my own to wake it up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Are there any good write-ups for turning the epa into a crankcase evac? I've seen a little about that through searching around but it's all basically saying to do it, not how to. Cam what carb would you suggest? I'd like something decent price these would be long run goals but some of these I can do on my own to wake it up.
"25mm from an XL185 carb with 25mm intake from a TRX90 quad"

·
Registered
81 Posts
My carb costed me 25 bux and the intake 12 bux.....I think it was ebay...I jetted it with an 88 mainjet

I put the same carb n intake on my X15 bit it had 25/23 valves stock so the carb worked even better with that bike....

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are no real technical writeups but in order to make it work you need to drill and tap the vacuum nipple into the new intake manifold.....Then if you look at the carb pic of my old x15 youll see the i drilled and tapped the top valvecover cap and inatalled a barbed hose nipple......

The open end of the black canister on the left needs a 12" hose to connect to it in a high loose arc.....

When the engine vacuum opens the little valve doohickey the exhaust flow acts like a siphon and it draws the crankcase ventilation into the exhaust instead of introducing fresh air to thin down emissions......

The siphon reduces the parachute effect on the downstroke aswell as sucks out trapped head on the valves to allow the valves to run cooler nit to mention it adds a few revs on the topend...

I Tee in the rear ventilation port to it too........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinese-Pit-Dirt-Bike-Molkt-Carburetor-Air-Intake-Carb-25mm-25-mm-/400858265256?hash=item5d5503b6a8:g:12sAAOSw2s1U0~G~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0061-Intake-Manifold-Cover-Honda-TRX90-TRX-90-1999-2005-17110-HF7-A10-/131671472853?hash=item1ea83b3ad5:g:N5sAAOSwfZ1WZysL&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-Mainfold-Carb-Intake-Pipe-Gasket-Spacer-Seal-110-125cc-140cc-Pit-Dirt-Bike-/162160436376?hash=item25c183e498:g:tBUAAOSwCfdXpY5T&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANIFOLD-INTAKE-ROTATOR-28MM-SILVER-CARB-ADAPTER-DIRT-PIT-BIKE-LIFAN-V-IN11-/161852458507?hash=item25af28860b:g:vvEAAOSwI-BWFwxT&vxp=mtr

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info cam2.

Blitzminc I don't plan on going cheap, I just knew there had to be more cost effective ideas. $80 is almost what he paid for the bike so it's harder to justify it. It looks like an awesome option, and had cam2 not told me about his option probably what we would have ended up doing.

I greatly appreciate all the info here from everyone. I'm used to internal combustion engines I'm cars, these are a slightly different animal so gotta start learning again.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
hey no prob, there is always stuff you can do cheaply, but ive found these bikes to be merely a starting point if your looking for any kind of performance
aside from better performance there is better reliability mods, things like upgrading the 2 motor mount bolts will save you issues later
if you spent 80 bux on the bike that is great, mine was 750, yet we both need the same upgrades
I quit thinking about the money I put in the bike, but rather what it is now, a well built mid size motorcycle

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He got it for 125. Needs some work but all things we can do so it's less of an ordeal. Eventually I think we will be looking at new motor and trans for it but for now it's just some upgrades to make it more fun. You do have a great looking bike though blitz.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts