Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last night I finally made it back home and got to work stripping down the X7 and prepping it for the new parts that came from Daves, Boost Industries and PBU. I wound up pulling all the fairings and removing the battery (heavy), front headlight/turn signal connections, the lame speedo and light gauges, the light/turn signal/horn controls, rear taillight/turn signal connections and all the excess wiring.

Today my brother and I went to work removing the carb, stock exhaust, intake manifold, spark plug and air filter. We started reassembly by installing the new PBU Power pipe which needed to have the mounting holes adjusted (1/8 inch too wide) and test fitted it. Moved onto the intake manifold. Replaced the new gasket and installed the new manifold that was pretapped for a boost bottle, just needed to trim a bit off the engine cover. Then we hit a road block with the carb.

Essentially. there is supposed to be a hole big enough to run the throttle pin thru and c-clip on the other side. There was no such hole, so after a lot of thinking and looking at pictures we just drilled the existing (ludicrously small) hole to the size needed to push the throttle pin thru. Installed the barrel extension ran the throttle cable and hooked it all up. Finished installing the v-stack and filter (the bolts were too long and had to be shortened), mounted the boost bottle and ran the line to the manifold, ran fuel lines (outside the frame, we notched the tank cover out. you'll see it in the pictures, it looks cool and will let me know in a stall if it's the carb or the fuel filter that's gunked up), mounted the exhaust (had to fabricate the mounts) and put the fairings back on, minus the bottom ones which I left off for aesthetics.

Took about 20 minutes to get the carb dialed in but it runs like an evil, little red monster. Top speed is about the same, 35-37 on flat and 45 downhill, but the time it takes to get there is dramatically less.

Moral of the story... nothing you buy for your bikes will ever fit easily. But there are very few ways I can think of to spend an afternoon that are more fun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice work man hope it runs better for ya.. I myself spent the day riding with my friends and I can never have more fun doing that than anything else...

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Oh Yaaah, Looking Good Dude. Will find other ways to make it Faster.
Try gearing for alittle more top speed if you have the power to pull it.
I Love that Fatty Exhaust.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Looking good X7................if I would of known you were gonna buy a pipe from PBU I would of sold ya one of mine for alot cheaper plus it looks prettier too.......................

Lose the e-starter,,clip the flywheel,,add a rocket key..lighten the clutches,,add hp clutch springs,,pop the head lose the base gasket,,raise and widen the exhaust port aswell as the transfer ports and youll get alot better speeds aswell as a front sprocket 1 -2 teeth larger........

Keep up the good work............

·
PBP RACER
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help and advice. I took it out today and ran it for about half an hour. Carb is dialed in beautifully now, so easy to tune with just high/low and idle screws.

I actually was stopped by some biker neighbors on my back country road who saw the boost bottle and thought I had a NOS kit. I'm taking it to the track *hopefully* on Saturday and we'll see how it runs there. As far as everyday riding it's awesome tho, tons of pull off the line.

Next up will be a lightened clutch, racing springs and a metal pull starter I think...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you really selling it? i have an x7 and am looking for an aftermarket pipe. While i mention it, do these have governers on them? i just bought one used yesterday. it takes forever to get up to speed.

Looking good X7................if I would of known you were gonna buy a pipe from PBU I would of sold ya one of mine for alot cheaper plus it looks prettier too.......................

Lose the e-starter,,clip the flywheel,,add a rocket key..lighten the clutches,,add hp clutch springs,,pop the head lose the base gasket,,raise and widen the exhaust port aswell as the transfer ports and youll get alot better speeds aswell as a front sprocket 1 -2 teeth larger........

Keep up the good work............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts