Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first bike and i got a X7 49cc i got it to run a few times but the pull start on the bike is a pain. It feels like it has a lot of compression. It is very hard to pull and it pulls up in bursts of cord. Its a brand new pull start and it has a electric start but i want the pull start to work. When i take the spark plug out it pulls the way it should. Please help. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
Do you have an alum shim between the black starter housing and the starter motor case, the inner parts maybe to close together and rubbing together. Do you have an alum rectangle or round steel pawl?? Can you post photo??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aluminum rectangle with a plastic with in the corner. ill post a tmmrw. There is also a gap between the pull start and electric start but it catches fine.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
I have both types. It might be the plastic paddle arm is not working right, some have an alum paddle. Don't think starter armature or any other engine parts are bad cause it turns free with spark plug out. I would buy a new rectangle pawl w/ alum paddle if you can find one, or maybe a new set. Since you already got a new rope starter housing and it made no difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a brand new one that came with the pull start but its a plastic one. But it should work because it came with the pull start. I was just to lazy to change it out. Are you sure this is the problem??

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the new rectangle starter catch do u still need a center pawl bolt or can u just put it on top of the electic start piece and put the housing and and start it?

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
On a stock engine the plastic paddle should be ok. On my hp engines I use the round steel pawl with notches and two steel pins on the outer part of the pulley that catch them. The Rect. alum one should have 8mm threads that thread on to the end of the armature shaft, it might have a nut too after you thread it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
Is your piston hitting the spark plug tip??

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my first quad, I put a brand new CAG on it because the motor was beyond repair.
It's got a lot of compression and hurts my poor office worker soft hands if it takes a while to get going :tango_face_grin:
One day I will try and put a more comfortable handle on the starter cord.

On the second quad I bought, the motor is OK. It doesn't have as much compression, but it's obviously got a different pull starter.
The pull cord seems to have some elasticity in it, which is not what you really want, although it's probably better on my soft hands.
It's like it stretches a bit before it starts to turn the engine over. Maybe that's what yours is doing?

I bought a lawn mower pull start cord online that I'm going to try on it instead. I haven't installed it yet though. Been busy on modifying the new exhaust and other projects.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
I rewind the pulley with #4 to #6 chainsaw rope, the China rope Sucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts