Pocketbike Forum banner

Yk42-4 48volt controler ?

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gyrixx 
#1 ·
Hey,
I just did an upgrade on the schwinn stingray.
I have been using the lb37 controller and it still works perfect.
But, I ordered the yk42-4 controller and hooked it up.
And it keeps blowing my fuses:mad:. I take off and start going really fast and then NO DC. I am very glad that it is only a fusebut I want to solve the problem. I have 4 inline 30Amp fuses
installed between each battery. But the yk42-4 controller
is rated at 40-100 amps:rolleyes: should I change all my fuses to
40 or 'or more amp fuses to handle the new voltage and amps
that the yk42-4 controller has to offer?????? It makes since to me.
i DONT wanT TO DAMAGE MY MOTOR!!!!
Also No problem with the freewheel or throttle or the batterys.
All input is appreciated
Cruh

#2 ·
that controller is going to suck you batteries dry... you should have left the lb37 on it... ride time will drop big time... anyway use a 50amp fuse.. down the line buy yourself a resettable breaker... this way if the bike does trip all you have to do is just push the reset button.. rather then having to replace fuses......

#3 ·
Hey Aproldan:D
do not care about how long the batterys last for a ride,
Looking for performance and speed. Dont panic,I still have my
original controller, and will probley still use it I just want to try
another controller for comparison.

What setup is the yk42-4 controller good for???
Pleas enlighten me.
Cruh

#5 ·
Just bypassed my fuses (only for a quick riide)
This controller makes a huge differance!!!
I weigh 160 and i hit 34.8 on the schwinnn speedometer,
But i also am running 66 volts
(4) 12 volt 12 amp batterys + (1) 12 volt 10 amp battery.

Hey Aproldan I really want to increase volts but not amps.
I have 40 to 50 batterys(yes I have lots and lots of batterys)
(but they range from 2.5 amps to 18 amps) I have atleast 10 of each
Can I increase voltage with a smaller 12 volt 2.5 or 4.5 amp battery
without adding very much amperage to controller/motor???
Cruh

G
#9 ·
those controlers suck in general, LOL I will keep it at that...

wait....CHINA.....Ok I got it off my chest

get a good name brand controller from kelly if you want to pay for a cheep one, at least they send ther controllers in a box and not a bag!

#11 ·
im new here so forgive me - as a reply to the motor controller, i have to agree - the chinese controllers are reasonable price, but they dont seem to last.

i had a 60 volt 1000 watt unitemotor "junk" with the matching controller "junk"

end result, the motor shattered the comentator and speed controller blew a mosfet, leaving me with a run away motor... 350 dollars gone just like that.

new motor is a ETEK clone from Mars 48 volt, 300 amp, 4500 watt 15 horse motor 160 torque pound pressure. im into electric drag scooter racing, thats why the severe power.

but please save yourself the agony and get a decent speed controller... the kelly controller would be a better bet.

but i like your thinking about wanting to travel fast, no need for distance - in my case 0 to 70 mph in a 1/8 mile would be just fine...

#12 · (Edited)
The low cost parts have poor QC, so its hit or miss. You could get one that lasts forever, or it could blow out the first time you use it. Not trying to excuse the product as to me its not ok to sell stuff like this.. I have blown out my share of parts, but if you get lucky they can last. Same with the cheap RC stuff, you just have to expect hit and miss.

Still I wouldn't pay new prices for a unite motor myself.. if you keep your eyes peeled you can find a used unite in a complete (not running) bike for less than a new motor costs! Not really a comparison, a $600 etek to a unite motor. Also a $300 kelly to a $50 tnc is no comparison..

#13 ·
I am running a Kelly KDS48100 on my sons bike. Its rated at 48V 100A and costs $76.00. Its fully programmable and allows you to adjust the amperage to the motor and voltage cutoff. I have it limited to 50A. ON top of the controller you will need an 100A $25 breaker and a 100A relay to design you circuit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.