Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey CAM, Or other super Modders.. Has anyone threw some kind of manual tranny on one of these Zenoah 49cc engines? Or is that the same as a manual tranny on a 49cc X8?? What motor is that??

What about those 3 Speed in Hub Gearing systems they have in some bicycles?? My beach cruiser has a in Hub 3 Speed transmission/gear system that is controlled by a spinner on the handlebar.. How impossible would it be to fab something like this into a pocket bike or is it just too much speed and or torque for something like that??

My friend still has his suped up X1 and there has been a few talks of trying to mod a manual tranny.. Any Ideas???

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Hey CAM, Or other super Modders.. Has anyone threw some kind of manual tranny on one of these Zenoah 49cc engines? Or is that the same as a manual tranny on a 49cc X8?? What motor is that??

What about those 3 Speed in Hub Gearing systems they have in some bicycles?? My beach cruiser has a in Hub 3 Speed transmission/gear system that is controlled by a spinner on the handlebar.. How impossible would it be to fab something like this into a pocket bike or is it just too much speed and or torque for something like that??

My friend still has his suped up X1 and there has been a few talks of trying to mod a manual tranny.. Any Ideas???
The X8 w/ shiftable transmission has a 4 stroker engine,,,some come full auto and some come semi-auto

One time I built a 12 speed with a 3hp briggs engine and kept the derailer on it so I can shift gears...It kind of worked but it skipped heavily if you didnt release the throttle and pull the shifter lever hard enough.....

there was a member who did it too...he put the shifter lever at his left foot..

adding a manual trans would rob hp from the extra reciprocating weight....My oldschool vintage racing kart will give a 5 or 6 speed shifter kart a really nice run for its money due to the fact there are less rotating parts and you dont have to listen to the powerband to shift.......

Ive thought about using things from commercial lawnmower transmissions to chopping the transmission out of a 2 speed Honda 50cc and hooking it to the countershaft but like I said the extra rotating parts aswell as weight will rob it back....If you ever seen the differences between a KTM SX50 and SX65 the 50's come full auto because the manual trans robbs too much of that sweet power............

the best trans for the Zenoahs is the CVT...Its alot like the 2 speed belt drive trans on a 69 Rupp Roadster...I had one back in the late 70's and that thing was really fast....55 mph fast.........LOL

The other day I came up with a way to add a kickstarter to a cag or engine with a pullstarter....When I finish working out the details its gonna be something of a wonder to marvel over.........

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I think it's possible, i use a bicycle crank sprocket and chain setup. Maybe this same setup and the use of a darilla(think that's what it's called) to slide the chain to change gears.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The other day I came up with a way to add a kickstarter to a cag or engine with a pullstarter....When I finish working out the details its gonna be something of a wonder to marvel over.........

NICE!!! Cant wait to see the kick start!!!!! You think a 3 speed would have too much recipricating weight also? Way more than a CVT? The 21 speed might be a bit much.. lol

I think it's possible, i use a bicycle crank sprocket and chain setup. Maybe this same setup and the use of a darilla(think that's what it's called) to slide the chain to change gears.
I'd use or I use?? lol Thought about this too but it could have soo much speen to the chain it might eat up that slide real fast?!?! I have no clue how the gearing in the Hub works.. Wonder if that has a slide too

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
NICE!!! Cant wait to see the kick start!!!!! You think a 3 speed would have too much recipricating weight also? Way more than a CVT? The 21 speed might be a bit much.. lol

I'd use or I use?? lol Thought about this too but it could have soo much speen to the chain it might eat up that slide real fast?!?! I have no clue how the gearing in the Hub works.. Wonder if that has a slide too
Swheels....youre pretty close...Its called a de-railer but I understood what you meant...:thumbsup:

What kind of 3 speed? a bicycle 3 speed?...If so it will work but like I stated its gonna be tough to shift and wont have as much reciprocating weight as a CVT only a 2 speed monkeybike trans added will have too much reciprocating weight to rob power...the clutchpack,,countershaft and gears weighs quite heavily....My 12 speed had alot of chain derailments and jamb-ups too...One time the chain got so caught-up it twisted the chain.......LOL

The old Ross bicycles have a 3-5 speed gear hub in the rearwheel thats chain activated and may work alot better than a setup with a de-railer.......

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swheels....youre pretty close...Its called a de-railer but I understood what you meant...:thumbsup:

What kind of 3 speed? a bicycle 3 speed?...If so it will work but like I stated its gonna be tough to shift and wont have as much reciprocating weight as a CVT only a 2 speed monkeybike trans added will have too much reciprocating weight to rob power...the clutchpack,,countershaft and gears weighs quite heavily....My 12 speed had alot of chain derailments and jamb-ups too...One time the chain got so caught-up it twisted the chain.......LOL

The old Ross bicycles have a 3-5 speed gear hub in the rearwheel thats chain activated and may work alot better than a setup with a de-railer.......

I know what you meant too... lol So you both have tried the De-rail... A 12 Speed?? Nice, way to give it a go..

Ya Cam. The one in my bike the rear wheel has that thicker hub and inside it some sort of gearing and it has three speeds.. What if one of those was built into a billit Pocket bike rim??

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I know what you meant too... lol So you both have tried the De-rail... A 12 Speed?? Nice, way to give it a go..

Ya Cam. The one in my bike the rear wheel has that thicker hub and inside it some sort of gearing and it has three speeds.. What if one of those was built into a billit Pocket bike rim??
If that type of hub was built-into the pocketbike rim it would be pretty sweet...Those hub gears are pretty tough and will shift alot easier...........

Yeah the 12 speed was pretty fun,,,I couldnt shift it past 6th gear or the briggs engine would lag but if I reached down to lean out the a/f mix screw on the carb while riding I could get it to 8th gear..LOL

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that type of hub was built-into the pocketbike rim it would be pretty sweet...Those hub gears are pretty tough and will shift alot easier...........

Yeah the 12 speed was pretty fun,,,I couldnt shift it past 6th gear or the briggs engine would lag but if I reached down to lean out the a/f mix screw on the carb while riding I could get it to 8th gear..LOL
Nice!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Wheels are turning... What happened to the bike? Did the gearing fail before the engine?? Did the De Rail get eaten up real bad?

I might need to find another one of these 3 speed hubs... My bike is too nice to rip apart for that hub... lol

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Nice!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Wheels are turning... What happened to the bike? Did the gearing fail before the engine?? Did the De Rail get eaten up real bad?

I might need to find another one of these 3 speed hubs... My bike is too nice to rip apart for that hub... lol
I took the bike apart after the guide wheels in the de-railer got trashed and put the 3hp on a wooden gocart i built..........

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, Ya we figured those parts would'nt last too long and a 12 speed was on the back burner.. But the 3 speed hub still sounds promising.. Well at least experiment promising...

Cheers!

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Cool, Ya we figured those parts would'nt last too long and a 12 speed was on the back burner.. But the 3 speed hub still sounds promising.. Well at least experiment promising...

Cheers!
Oh yeah it is...that hub is also definately worth breaking down to see how it ticks and to see if theres a way to scale it up for more severe duty service....

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wooden Go Kart??? I tried to make one of these years and years back.. No engine, down a way too steep hill with 2 of us on it.. One twich on that rope steering wheel and 2 x 4 front axel and we were done... OUCH!!!! My friend took the most of the brunt and i just kinda slid on him like a slay... That toy was burnt in a bon fire the next day!!! No more wooden toys with wheels for me.....

How did yours work out?? lol

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah it is...that hub is also definately worth breaking down to see how it ticks and to see if theres a way to scale it up for more severe duty service....

Yup in a 10 inch rim for a mid what we were thinking... I really want to see whats in one of those hubs...

you know, thats one thing i can say is i haven't driven a go-cart yet.... im 25...shoulda done that by now!
Get it done.... Fun stuff also... But not as easy to take and ride around... Only if i was rich and had a toy trailer... I'd be doing that too.... lol

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Wooden Go Kart??? I tried to make one of these years and years back.. No engine, down a way too steep hill with 2 of us on it.. One twich on that rope steering wheel and 2 x 4 front axel and we were done... OUCH!!!! My friend took the most of the brunt and i just kinda slid on him like a slay... That toy was burnt in a bon fire the next day!!! No more wooden toys with wheels for me.....

How did yours work out?? lol
Mine worked out alot like the real working and riding wooden Harley thats on the web....

I used the 4X6 hardwood underrails from a 5'wide x 10'long shipping skid as the frame,,rear support,,engine crossbrace,,seat crossbrace and front axle...

Front and rear axle braces were about 30" wide and I had to double up on the rear because of the rear engine mount and pillowblock mount,,,rails were 5' long,,spaced around 16" apart,,front brake and gas pedals were on the rails and were basically leg supports aswell...Floor was thin walled luan plywood

I did a half n half notch on my dads radial arm saw .......I carriage bolted and lag bolted the thing together with a drill to drill pilot holes,,and I used some industrial strength glue my mom used to get from her job[long story but she wasnt stealing]and alot of elbow grease....

I used plate steel that was pretty long to the upper and lower front axle on the left and right for the steering knuckle brackets and used regular gokart steering knuckles,,I strengthened the rest with flat L brackets my dad got me from the hardware store along with the rest of the hardware needed

The steering rod I took out of a bent up two seater gocart I got for free called a Lime Limo from some guy who worked for my dad and also liked the idea and how it was turning out.It was Kawasaki Green...The only things salvgeable from it was the steering assembly and all 4 rims and tires...The axle was bent badly...One of the tires was popped too but fixable.........

The rear axle I used was a small 1" diameter hardened steel post with a really thick wall and was very hard to bend and was contributed by my uncle.... My dad made a sprocket adapter for the motorbike sprocket we used and he welded it to the fencepost ..We used pillowblock bearings w/setscrews my dad got from grainger..Then my dad welded bolts to the outside of the fence posts for the rims and my dad lathed in the keyway slots to keep the rims from slipping..

The engine was a 3hp briggs with removed gov,,reground camshaft by my uncle ,,gave it more compression by having my dad deck it .012" and a 5hp carb with straightpipe headder...

It was pretty fun and lasted pretty long.....If the engine was any more powerful it would of splintered alot sooner lol....

Then there was the 8ft wooden hydroplane I built called the MiniMost.............I called mine the Most Wicked Mini...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts

I use... And i have used...lol i did this setup to my x1 when i had it. And my x7 the first one,now i'm using it again on my 2nd x7. I always had plenty of gearing options on tap. I would just go to the local bicycle shops and buy the crank sprocket...lol

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.